Distributor question for a friend

FlintBuick4Life

CHINAmerica...
A friend on youtube asked me this question, but I don`t what the hell hes asking me... does the distributor rotate?... um, yeah... that`s how it works:biggrin: Maybe you guys might understand the question better than me idk:rolleyes: He is trying to swap his N/A '85 intake, carb and dist setup with a N/A '78 intake, carb and dist setup to remover all the computerized stuff.

"I notice that my distributor 85 doesn't rotate for time change when I get all Computerized things out, at least I tried but its like fixed, I don't know if is fixed or if Im doing something wrong, but if is fixed does the distributor from 78 rotates? because from 79 to 87 they were fixed and what maintain timing were sensors I think right?"

The housings rotate once you loosen the nut/clamp that holds them in place. That's how you set the initial timing.

I wouldn't use the 78 intake. It's a low port design.

The computer stuff helps the car run much better. He would be much better off keeping it and swapping to a 4.1's four barrel carb and intake.

I think your friend needs a better plan. Just removing the computer stuff for the sake of removing it will just cause headaches. It uses a knock sensor and an oxygen sensor - both would be great tuning aids with the use of a cheap scan tool.

I'm in agreement with Rich on this. It's much simpler to just get an E4ME carb and 4.1 intake. Then the rest is very simple.