Distributor position?

Tungsten

I just got my engine rebuilt and I'm trying to install the distributor. The #1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke, the timing mark on the balancer is at 0 degrees, I turned the rotor between #1 and #6 spark plug towers on the distributor cap, but which way does the distributor face? My service manual doesn't say.

I just got my engine rebuilt and I'm trying to install the distributor. The #1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke, the timing mark on the balancer is at 0 degrees, I turned the rotor between #1 and #6 spark plug towers on the distributor cap, but which way does the distributor face? My service manual doesn't say.

toward #1

can you tell me which way is "front"? also, I assume you mean right on the #1 cylinder? not the stamping? by the way my engine is a 1985 231 2bbl.

can you tell me which way is "front"? also, I assume you mean right on the #1 cylinder? not the stamping? by the way my engine is a 1985 231 2bbl.
#1 is the left front cylinder so you would follow that wire to the cap and make sure the rotor is pointed at that corresponding post on the distributor when the distributor is all the way down. Then you start it and use a timing light to set the timing. It doesnt matter which way it faces but the module is usually around the 7 o'clock position from what i remember.