Distributor-HOLY SH!T!!!!!(THANKS CAL + DAN!!)

Jeff,
Give me a call this afternoon, if you are still having problems. I thought you were fixed and up and running.:( Also, re-verify your crank reference angle. 12 degrees with a BHJ is possible but unusual.
Cal,
I checked it again and the reference angle is 14. What I have been doing is setting the timing map at 25 then I measure off 1.45" on the balancer and make a mark to represent 25 degrees BTDC. I bring up the rpm to about 2000 rpm and shoot number 1 with a timing light. Then adjust the reference angle to get my 25 degree balancer mark to line up with 0 mark on the plastic marker on the block. If this procedure is correct, maybe the ring on the balancer changing positions.
Also I made a mistake identifying the metal tab on the distributor. I used the suggestion that Otto gave me and changed the tps setting to 30% and found number 3 responded to the change in the individual cylinder correction table on the balancer. Using the firing order of 165432; to get the engine to read #3, I think I would have to enter 4 in firing order sync. box.
With all this done the car idles O.K. but it drives terrible. Since I also changed to 160# injectors and a new program, maybe it needs to be adjusted but it seems to be way off. What number are you guys using in the XFI for injector opening time (ms) for 160# injectors. Mine has .9 and I think it should be higher.
Jeff

Jeff, when I'm running my gas program with the 160s, I believe my pw is more like around 1.2 to 1.3 ms range. On the alky program, it's 1.54 ms. That's at a 1,500 idle rpm. The size of your cam will have a lot to do with the a/f the engine likes to idle at. 12.2 to one in my case. I don't know about running the 160s below a 1.2 ms pw. I've heard the fuel delivery becomes unstable below 1.2 ms, and I've even read somewhere that 1.5 ms was considered the low limit for the 160s, although I've gotten away with running as low as 1.2 ms.

Jeff, when I'm running my gas program with the 160s, I believe my pw is more like around 1.2 to 1.3 ms range. On the alky program, it's 1.54 ms. That's at a 1,500 idle rpm. The size of your cam will have a lot to do with the a/f the engine likes to idle at. 12.2 to one in my case. I don't know about running the 160s below a 1.2 ms pw. I've heard the fuel delivery becomes unstable below 1.2 ms, and I've even read somewhere that 1.5 ms was considered the low limit for the 160s, although I've gotten away with running as low as 1.2 ms.
Don,
That is interesting. The cam I run is a 224/224. I have been setting the a/r at 12.5 but it jumps around quite a bit. I have to be careful when changing the ve table because it does not take much of a number change to have an effect on the a/f.
Jeff

My injector opening time is .9 with a 16 volt system. If your still 12 volt 1.0 worked fine with the 160's.

When you set your map to 25 degrees and check the timing, you also need to look at your timing reading on the dashboard at the bottom of the timing table. It's possible that your map shows 25 but the actual timing will be different if your rpms are not high enough. I have never seen a BHJ need 16 on the crank reference.

Correction. My target a/f @ idle with gasoline is 13.7. 12.2 with alky, without correcting the A/F readout (reading still calibrated for gasoline).

The cam I run does not like to idle under 1,500 rpm out of gear, which is why my PW is a bit higher than you guys.

That is interesting. The cam I run is a 224/224. I have been setting the a/r at 12.5 but it jumps around quite a bit. I have to be careful when changing the ve table because it does not take much of a number change to have an effect on the a/f.
Jeff

Not too far off my old combo, my injector opening time is 1.0 with 12 volt system on 160lb injectors.

My injector opening time is .9 with a 16 volt system. If your still 12 volt 1.0 worked fine with the 160's.

When you set your map to 25 degrees and check the timing, you also need to look at your timing reading on the dashboard at the bottom of the timing table. It's possible that your map shows 25 but the actual timing will be different if your rpms are not high enough. I have never seen a BHJ need 16 on the crank reference.
I rechecked the reference and it came out to 10 (was at 14). The reason for the difference is that I had to zero out the timing trim and the spark offset vs ATS.
Thanks,
Jeff