Distributor-HOLY SH!T!!!!!(THANKS CAL + DAN!!)

BLACK MAGIC RACING

formerly turbo_canuck
This week, i upgraded to a distributor due to problems with the DIS-4 and coil pack (many thanks to Dan Strezo for talking me into it and Cal Hartline for making it so easy) And WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I turned down the boost to 25lbs, as i didn't know how the tune would be affected. I ran a best mph of 162 on 25 lbs!!! last week, i was barely able to go 148 on 28-29 lbs. Best upgrade i ever made, bar none. All i need now is a 2-step chip in the 4800-5000 range and mid 8's should be no problem. I only had a 4200, which left me with lousy 1.55's in the 60'.

162 mph? Is that a typo? i run one in my stock block and its day and night! Congrats! Did you need a change of clothes after?

nope, no typo, i couldn't believe it myself, i thought there was something wrong with the system, but i did it again, and again!! Didn't have to change ALL my clothes.... :p

distributor

What distributor did you put on it? I have the one that came on the motor when I bought it. It's an old busch motor. :confused:

What all is involved, can a shade tree mechanic do the swap? What are approximate cost involved?

Please expound further....

Thanks

rag231, i used a new msd billett one, pn# MSD-8551.

HellOnWheels, It was a surprisingly easy swap, i pulled the coil + module, cam sensor and msd dis4 box. Next, i ordered a distributor- listed above, ($346.88), a set of wires-pn#MSD-31199 ($87.88), an msd coil- pn#MSD-8261 ($139.88) and a 7al2plus box- pn#MSD-7222 ($542.88). From cal hartline, i ordered a dead-end connector plug, which bolts to the harness where the stock ignition module used to go, and a jumper that plugs into the cam sensor plug and the distributor. i had to cut off 5 of the 6 reluctor tabs on the distributor shaft to give a cam signal, plug it in, then point it at #1 while the engine was at 25*, before tdc. the install of the other components was pretty straightforward, and the car started right up. all i had to do was verify timing with a light that the fast was seeing proper timing. it's not that easy with an xfi, or other systems as i've read. but that's pretty much it with an old fast sequential like mine.

HellOnWheels said:
What all is involved, can a shade tree mechanic do the swap? What are approximate cost involved?

Please expound further....

Thanks

Give Cal Hartline a call. He's a master at this. :cool:

George

Do you know if the MSD box HAS to be the 7222 or would a different box work(ie. 7220 or any others)? I have had a problem getting coils that wont break down on high boost. thanks, jeremy

the 7222 is universal, and it has a 2 step. the older 7al2's would work also, but you have to get the one designed for v-6's

Thanks Fred & George! Congratulations on that awesome mph! Looks like Dan (DLS) created another monster.

Awsome news!!!!
I don't understand why anyone builds a race car with the dis anymore! :confused:

would this distributor setup be beneficial in a 109 block car/ is it the same setup for my 109 as the stage motors, im going to a fast xfi with 83lb inj and for the moment a 72 turbo along with all the other mods i have so far and want to know if this would benefit me or be a waste of money and time on a 109 block car? thanks mike.

The distributor would probably be a benefit at your level. If you still have AC the install is a little trickier. Wth the XFI this is a piece of cake. If you are using an adaptor harness it can be set up to run either way without cutting/splicing any wires.

cal thanks i will have to contact you directly to get more info on this setup as i do have a/c so im not sure why it would be tricky as the dist. would be up front were the cam sensor is correct? also i just saw your xfi special so i need to get on that also, im a xfi and turbo away from fun LOL.

Cal is definitely the man. I just installed my xfi fram b2b so i could use my new coil on plug setup using ls1 coils. my harness is being built as we speak. Hopefully doing away w/ wastespark will net me some mph and et. I'm not expecting anything near 18 mph but thats awesome.

Thanks to Cal & Holly their great people.

I was torn between cnp and distributor, both would have cost me about the same, but the fact that i bracket race alot swayed me toward the distributor, as it was easier to get a 2-step to work in conjunction with my transbrake. Good luck, i heard many good things about the cnp/edist system too! :smile:

nailheadpowered said:
cal thanks i will have to contact you directly to get more info on this setup as i do have a/c so im not sure why it would be tricky as the dist. would be up front were the cam sensor is correct? also i just saw your xfi special so i need to get on that also, im a xfi and turbo away from fun LOL.

Nail head ,
The reason is that the distributor cap is in the way of the AC accesory bracket. It can be made to work and Cal knows how.

As usual with Cal and Holly, great customer service and always at the top of the game, good having lunch with you guys when I was back, Louie see you when I get back when I get back.
Have fun in Reynolds. Louie watch out for the trailer this time.Rock on Guys
B :D