Dish Network or Direct TV?

I have had both, and like Direct TV. Sounds stupid but I like the television guide better, and the selection of channels.

funny I was just looking at both of those yesterday as my cable provider is going to jack up my rates. I am leaning towards dish because they offer both wifi and tv in my area.

I use dish

because direct charges for shipping of equipment ( $49.95) plus wanted $60 for custom install, (all cables were already there!)
dish was free shipping, free install.
plus cheaper rate overall,

because direct charges for shipping of equipment ( $49.95) plus wanted $60 for custom install, (all cables were already there!)
dish was free shipping, free install.
plus cheaper rate overall,

Guess it depends on where ya live... we have 4 free DVR and 4 free installations...

I went round and round with direct tv on the phone more than once and would NOT even consider their service. I liked dish network but I am on AT&T u-verse, mostly because of the high speed internet.

Choice of the two, I'd go dish network.

Dish ! I hear Direct has better sports packages, but I think the channel guide interface sucks on it.

Direct TV all the way!

Call the dish network customer service... They're in India or somewhere where "peggy" cannot understand what I am talking about.

Direct TV does have an issue now and again but I nearly always get a native American speaker..And eventually get the issue resolved to my satisfaction!

Install is free, HD is free with auto draft set-up, new accounts have good promo's...

Have had directTv for 2 years now and no real issues. Dropped cable for it. Had no install fees and works great. Does cut off every now and then if a big storm is justto the south of me no big deal. Have had an American every time I've needed to call support.
I like the ch guide much better than other services. Go look at friends guide who have other services and see what you think I'm sure it's just a matter of personnal preference.
Only complaint is the bill has been creeping up little by little with no explanation or notice after the first year. Need to look into it.
If you can get Internet some other way besides satelite do it. Max speed for satelite is about 1.5mbs but the latency is a killer, will act more like 500kbs due to latency. Wifi is one of my businesses.

If your bill is creeping up call them on it. Just had got off the phone with them when I posted my last post... Bill went up to $80. for choice-xtra (speed channel) and HD access... They told me that every year the account is eligible for a promo deal so I got it back under $60 with the same service and 2 months of all the movie channels for free.

I went with DISH because Direct can not get me my local channels. I have had it a year and it if fine.

Yeah, I need to call them, wife always pays the bill so I just don't think about it when I have the time. It's about $80 now, no movie channels just the Premium with speed ch like you have, and not even HD! Started out at $40 with the special promo and the $100/$10 mo referal deal they have.
Usually I'll call when I see a promo deal like for DSL, etc..and say hey "I'm an existing customer, is your existing customers not as important as your new customers" when the deal is only for "new" customers. If they get the deal and I don't then I will be an X-customer!

I have all my local channels on Direct, maybe area or something.

I have Dish. Its ok, the guide is not that bad. I wish I could pick the channels i wanted. 15 spanish channels:confused: although I just turn the volume down and watch:biggrin: go with whoever is cheaper

heres what you do...
direct TV,because you have 3 homes(dont tell them that),tell them you want three HD boxes (one for each home) and then go on ebay and buy the other 2 dishes ,pretty sure thats how it work,have some buds that have multi homes in other states that do it..:p

We have had Dish for 6 years. No complaints except that there is a stupid screensaver that comes up every night that you must clear every morning before watching TV. No big deal but we have a TiVo and that really screws us up when trying to record something while we are away for over a day. Another weird thing is here, many times in the morning when you clear that screensaver, the channel that comes on is one with those phony TV preachers! :eek: that is kind of creepy, especially when you consider there must be some weirdos somewhere at Dish Network who support those phony religious TV creeps.

Looks like a 50/50 split...so you guys were no help at all. :biggrin:

Really good info provided here. I think I have Direct TV in Iowa. I'm only there a couple times a year. Can't remember the details on it.

Dish advertises here on the site. Guess I'll check them out first. ;)

I would say dishnet..but since you can't program or " hack " into the cards anymore it doesn't matter. It sure was nice to get ALL channels with no monthly fee :D

Dish network as DirectTV messed up some of my channels and wanted to charge me $90 service fee. I threatened to switch and their reply was "so what." Been with dish for about 3 years after having Direct for 8, no problems with Dish so far.

I have DISH. Quite honestly, the choice was difficult. Only reason I choose DISH is because I needed German speaking channels. Channel selection was the tipping point for me. I think Direct does have better sports channels, but DISH does fine.

I've had DISH for 4 years now and no complaints. Nice HD picture, TV guide is decent.

To the person who wrote about the screen saver, it wasn't a big problem for me either. However, I like to wake up in the morning and have the TV turn on and off automatically. So, I just simply set a recurring "Auto Tune" for 5am (time I wake up).