Discussion of Chassis Setup for 8 Sec. Assault

The right rear is squating a little Donnie but page 30 you can see her land. The right front is hanging a little low as well. You really need to get it to a frame shop and tweek it just a little. Looks pretty good though.
Yeah, I see what you mean. Looks to be even from front to rear. The car is pretty level with no load on the drivetrain. I was thinking it was just general body roll from engine torque? If that is the case, I was thinking of just adding a little more preload on the roll bar. I believe presently, I only have about a 1/4" of preload on the roll bar. What do you think? Add 1/4" more preload at a time to see what happens? The amount of roll that is happening now doesn't appear to be steering the car.

I went ahead and added more preload to the roll bar. Added 1/4" of length to the right side link of the rear roll bar.
Measuring from the ground to the lip of the rear fender through the centerline of the wheel: 29 1/4" left, 29 3/4" right.

The wheelie bars still at 7 1/4" left, 6 3/4" right.

I was going to suggest an eighth instead Donnie. Remember that little changes can have a big effect after all. I'd hate to see you go into a wall myself.

I was going to suggest an eighth instead Donnie. Remember that little changes can have a big effect after all. I'd hate to see you go into a wall myself.
I hear ya.
As I was adjusting the link and checking it for the 1/4" change, I was thinking to myself, boy, this is taking a lot of turns to get this 1/4". Maybe I should just go for an eighth.
I'm going ahead with the 1/4". We'll see what happens.

See if you can get the video guy to come the next time you go out with her. I'd really like to see what she looks like in motion, especially if you can do it slo mo. Makes it much easier to see what she's doing on launch.

See if you can get the video guy to come the next time you go out with her. I'd really like to see what she looks like in motion, especially if you can do it slo mo. Makes it much easier to see what she's doing on launch.
I'll try to do that, Charlie.

The body will have some roll just from the torque alone. If the car is driving straight I would not make an adjustment just due to looking at a picture. You want the car to launch straight without having to correct the steering.

If the car does want to move in one direction, 1/4" is WAAYY to much. If the car makes a noticeable move, 2 rounds of pre-load is plenty. I never measure the distance, I go by rounds on the adjuster.

This year a friend started logging shock travel. Even with a 25.2 chassis and the largest TRZ anti-roll bar, the car still has 1/2 more of shock travel on the left than it does the right. The chassis will have body roll......so adjust for driving characteristics, not because of what you see in a picture.

I have a crappy video of my car from Sat night. 1.30' 5.19 at 144.2. If I can find a way to get it from the camcorder to internet I'll post it. I had someone video the rear tire so I could watch seperation and wrinkle.

The body will have some roll just from the torque alone. If the car is driving straight I would not make an adjustment just due to looking at a picture. You want the car to launch straight without having to correct the steering.

If the car does want to move in one direction, 1/4" is WAAYY to much. If the car makes a noticeable move, 2 rounds of pre-load is plenty. I never measure the distance, I go by rounds on the adjuster.

This year a friend started logging shock travel. Even with a 25.2 chassis and the largest TRZ anti-roll bar, the car still has 1/2 more of shock travel on the left than it does the right. The chassis will have body roll......so adjust for driving characteristics, not because of what you see in a picture.

I have a crappy video of my car from Sat night. 1.30' 5.19 at 144.2. If I can find a way to get it from the camcorder to internet I'll post it. I had someone video the rear tire so I could watch seperation and wrinkle.
That all makes perfect sense. I'll back the 1/4" out and go 2 rounds. Thanks, Dusty.

After the change to the roll bar adjustment: left 29 3/8", right 29 5/8".

For future reference, 2 turns of the roll bar link equals approximately 1/8" change in the link length.

The next testing of the chassis will be with a launch at 12 psi at close to peak torque rpm. That will be next weekend.

Haven't been to the track yet. I've finished with a staging control device for the transmission and I'm switching back to the 3.73:1 rear gearset in preparation of some 1/4 mile runs at Pinks next month. Next test and tune date is this Saturday at Barona.

Here is the mod I did to the trunk lid to adjust the height of the spoiler.

Attachments

• IMGP2132rs.jpg
    IMGP2132rs.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 205
  • IMGP2133rs.jpg
    IMGP2133rs.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 211
  • IMGP2134rs.jpg
    IMGP2134rs.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 205
One more, showing the setting of the wheelie bars.

Attachments

• IMGP2135rs.jpg
    IMGP2135rs.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 207
Ran today. The car launched very straight. Pulled the wheels 6-8 inches. I still have to study the datalogs more carefully to figure out what the launch rpm and map was.
I have a time slip that shows a 1.09 60'. I didn't get a chance to back it up. A car rolled on the track and put an end to the day.

What was your time at the end Donnie? Didn't see it in the other thread so I'm just wondering.
That pass was a 5.80 @ 122 mph. Nothing spectacular. I definitely see some room for improvement with the boost level up to and through the 1-2 shift. After the launch, it felt like the car cruised to and through the 1-2 shift, and then after the 1-2 shift things started happening.

That pass was a 5.80 @ 122 mph. Nothing spectacular. I definitely see some room for improvement with the boost level up to and through the 1-2 shift. After the launch, it felt like the car cruised to and through the 1-2 shift, and then after the 1-2 shift things started happening.

I keep forgetting that most of your testing is done on the 1/8 mile Donnie. It may be a fluke but I want to see how you do next weekend. Hope you get the same 60' and make her even faster.:D