Discussion of Chassis Setup for 8 Sec. Assault

After some careful dialing in of the fuel map in the area where the nitrous first hits and starts the initial spooling of the turbo, I was able to get the 60 foot down to a 1.35 over the weekend. This paricular area of the fuel map is very tricky to work with since the ALS masks the O2 reading with a very lean reading. I made sure this section of the fuel map was rich to cover any mistakes and have been slowly leaning it out to find the best mixture to allow the quickest turbo spool up during the ALS affect. Between the last testing session and this one, I've leaned that area about 4% now. What I've noticed is that the O2 reading through the ALS affect is becoming much more stable as I lean that section of the fuel map. Where the reading would go to 14.64:1 at the beginning to the nitrous hit, it would only maintain a flatline reading for a short period of time, and then the reading would bounce to a richer reading, such as 13 or 12 to one and then back up to 14.64 for a short period, until the ALS was cancelled. What I'm trying to say is that the 14.64 O2 reading was not a flatline reading throughout the ALS affect, where in past smaller nitrous shot sizes I've played with, it did give a flatline 14.64:1 reading throughout the ALS affect.
Soon after switching to this latest nitrous shot size and seeing the O2 readings bouncing off the 14.64 reading, I realized that the mixture might not be just right to maintain the best ALS affect and hence the quickest turbo spoolup. The big question was, is it too rich or too lean through that section? To be safe I first tried to richen that section and the results were that the O2 reading became more erratic through the ALS affect with no noticeable change in the performance of the car. I then began to lean that section of the fuel map and the more I leaned it out, the more the O2 reading stabilized towards the target flatline 14.64:1 reading. Also, the turbo was creating a better boost level in relation to rpm through the ALS region, and giving better 60 foot times, as evidenced by the latest best 60' with the car and the 91mm turbo.
The ALS O2 reading is still not perfectly flatline yet, although, it is very close, so there may still be a little more improvement in the 60 foot to be had. We'll see what happens.

I'm also going to try lowering the rear tire pressure from the current 8.75 psi to 8.50. The passes have been very stable with the 8.75, and I want to see what 8.5 might do.

This may sound dumb Donnie but the way the ALS is working is just like the first jet turbine engines did for jet airplanes. You might want to look at some of that research and see what it tells you. Some interesting stuff.

This may sound dumb Donnie but the way the ALS is working is just like the firts jet turbine engines did for jet airplanes. You mignt want to look at some of that research and see what it tells you. Some interesting stuff.
I know what you mean. When I was a kid, it was a dream of mine to build a miniature jet turbine engine for models, and now, companies have actually come out with them. Very neat stuff. I am certainly a jet turbine fan, and I have looked into that. There are some pretty neat videos on youtube of some primitive and model jet turbines.

I see what I'm trying to do with this ALS affect as trimming the oxygen/fuel ratio and heat for the reaction in the combustion chamber. The combustion chamber I'm speaking of, in my case, is the exhaust system primary tubes.

Doing a little experimenting this weekend. There is a local class that requires a 275/50 drag radial. This tire is only a 26x10 and is a radial.

Black Sheep from this board wanted to take a shot at the class. The current record is 5.74 in the 1/8.

After a few passes to get a handle on what the tire could take, he ran 5.60 at 131. This is a 3450# GN with a 47-88. With proper geometry the car is very stable on even a small tire such as the 275/50.

Doing a little experimenting this weekend. There is a local class that requires a 275/50 drag radial. This tire is only a 26x10 and is a radial.

Black Sheep from this board wanted to take a shot at the class. The current record is 5.74 in the 1/8.

After a few passes to get a handle on what the tire could take, he ran 5.60 at 131. This is a 3450# GN with a 47-88. With proper geometry the car is very stable on even a small tire such as the 275/50.
Congrats!
Looks like you and Black Sheep will have a record under your belts soon.

After studying some starting line photos of the car at the hit, I've noticed that the car is lower at the right rear by about 1/4 -1/2 inch. I went ahead and added 1/4" preload at the anti-roll bar to see if that will give me a more level launch. The way she's launching now is not a big problem, but I do notice she wants to kick out just a little at the hit. Just experimenting to see if this might help in anyway.

The latest tune with the car has amounted to more than enough power for a great launch. With the latest roll bar setting change, the car launched straight and the tires hooked better than could be hoped for.
One launch involved leaving the line at 5,500 rpm, 164 kPa map + nitrous boost. It caught me by surprise and the run was aborted because the wheelie bars were set too high, but the car yanked hard.
The latest 60' for the car is 1.28 sec with a little more work to do on the launch.
The next chassis tuning subject for this thread will be wheelie bar settings. The bars I'm using extend 1' past the end of the car and are unsprung. I'm going to start out with an 8" clearance wheel to ground.
I also need to work out a way to mount the wheelie bars so that I don't have to completely remove them when I load the car in the trailer. I hate having to crawl under the car to completely remove the bars.

The wheelie bars have been checked for perpendicular mounting to the rear axle centerline. Hopefully I'll get some straight steering out of the bars.
The clearance from wheel to ground is set at 6" on both sides.
A little body work to the spare tire well gave me the ability to swing the bars up high enough to load the car in the trailer without having to crawl under the car for any reason. Just disconnect two quick pins, swing the bars up against the rear bumper, plug the quick pins into a different set of holes on the wheel brackets and done.

The rear deck lid adjustable bumpers are a horrible design. Without the counter springs to help with the weight of the deck lid, the bumpers get squashed real quick. Even with the latch adjusted higher to help with the weight.
I'm going to fab up some bumpers that will be similar to the front deck lid adjustable bumpers, with lock nuts. With that I can set the rear deck lid to a height that will favor a little extra downforce for the rearend.

After the latest testing, a best 1.34 60'. The car left really flat. My video guy couldn't make it, so I don't have any video to study. I wonder if the car is leaving too flat. Maybe the wheelie bars are too low. I'm going to try raising them an inch.
A new best ET for the 91mm this last session. 5.74. I like to try to come away from the track with at least one new best. :biggrin:

A note to keep a history on the wheelie bar adjustment.
Last test session the bars were set at 5.75" right, 6.25" left. Set at the shop in the project docking bay. The car left the line on a hard launch (5300 rpm @ 154 kPa MAP) very flat and very straight. A seemingly non-eventfull (boring feeling) launch. 60' was 1.33 sec. Maybe the bars are set too low, hitting too soon, unloading the tires and causing a little too much wheel spin.

We'll try a new adjustment. 6.75" rt, 7.25" lft, maintaining the original 1/2" stagger.

(see more boost controller notes pertaining to this tuning session in the AMS1000 for dummies thread)

The latest wheelie bar adjustment is working good. I can feel the front wheels leaving the ground at the launch. I'm going to keep it at this adjustment for now.

The track photographer happened to get some shots of the car at the launch and I just got the chance to study them. The car is lifting the wheels enough to get about 2-3 inches of air. The chassis doesn't feel like it's getting shocked when it gets on the wheelie bars. It looks like I'm getting away with the unsprung bars, for now. The launch is straight, smooth and level. The slicks are wrinkling at about what I'd call a medium level.
I'm going to work up the launch power level from here and see how these chassis settings hold out.
The latest best 60' is 1.28. New goal is 1.25. It appears the 1-2 is able to take more power through the shift because of the higher launch power levels.

You can see the track photo at http://www.paklphoto.com/?Snapshots!!
Go to the Drag Racing pictures, then click on 09-04-2010 Test - Tune, then click on page 29.

The right rear is squating a little Donnie but page 30 you can see her land. The right front is hanging a little low as well. You really need to get it to a frame shop and tweek it just a little. Looks pretty good though.