Direct Scan Problem

TryMeGT

I finally got direct scan and want to use it this weekend at the track. Problem is that I cannot get it to work on my Dell Latitude D600 computer. It has Windows XP. I have it on the computer and have it set to compatible with Windows 95 in the properties. I can call up DS and get to the main menu to change preferences and what have you, but if I plug it into the car, it will either just "lock up" and not go to the realtime display screen or say not found. What do I have set wrong or how do I uninstall and install it so it works properly. I am not computer literate but I can try to follow suggestions.:confused:
Thanks in advance.

DS wont work under Windows XP, without a boost disk of some kind...Problem lies in the way the XP and older DOS programs interact. XP doesnt let older DOS programs capture the parallel port correctly...Best bet would be to make a bootable CD with DS on it or a floppy if your 600 has one

Had or has one ? If you have a floppy... Been a while since I've had a machine with a floppy in it... Pop a floppy in, go to My Computer, and right click on the floppy icon. One of the choices should be FORMAT. Once you click that another box will pop showing you choices. Look for the one that says bootable or DOS boot disk..If I can get my old xp box to fire up, I'll double check it for you. Once it formats, just copy the DS software over and away you go..

Had or has one ? If you have a floppy... Been a while since I've had a machine with a floppy in it... Pop a floppy in, go to My Computer, and right click on the floppy icon. One of the choices should be FORMAT. Once you click that another box will pop showing you choices. Look for the one that says bootable or DOS boot disk..If I can get my old xp box to fire up, I'll double check it for you. Once it formats, just copy the DS software over and away you go..

If I try this, here is what I see:
Capacity:
3.5", 1.44MB, 512 bytes/sector. (The drop down has no other choices)

File:
FAT (The drop down has no other choices)

Allocation Unit Size:
Default Allocation Size (The drop down has no other choices)

Volume Label:
Box has free text

Format options allows me to check a box that is either
"Quick Format" or "Create an MS-DOS start up disk"

If I try this, here is what I see:
Capacity:
3.5", 1.44MB, 512 bytes/sector. (The drop down has no other choices)

File:
FAT (The drop down has no other choices)

Allocation Unit Size:
Default Allocation Size (The drop down has no other choices)

Volume Label:
Box has free text

Format options allows me to check a box that is either
"Quick Format" or "Create an MS-DOS start up disk"

You want to select "Create an MS-DOS start up disk"

If you have $50 to spare, go on Ebay and buy an el cheapo windows 98 laptop. No worries with something happening to your more expensive laptop and NO integration issues !!! One with a PII 133mhz chip will work just fine.

I am working on that option right now as I still can't get my Dell to work with Direst Scan. Thanks,