Diffrence Between Regal t and Grand National

IIRC, the purists will say only the WE4 was the Turbo T as mentioned by GM. In 87 if it had a turbo but wasn't a GN or GNX then it was technically a Turbo Regal. However, the TR's had T badges on them and it was a T package. I refer to my 87 Turbo Regal as a Turbo T.

Yes,the T option was a touring/suspension option in87". The T on the fender had nothing to do with the motor being turbo charged and,of course,it was not a Ttype.

The '87's have 5 more HP than the 86's, I think it's due to the lighter grille without that cheesy chrome piece in there. :eek::p;)

I tell you who would really love this exchange.......the engineers at Buick during 82 through 87! At the BPG event at National Trails last summer I was fascinated listening to the stories by the "old" guys that were responsible for designing and building these cars back then. The whole turbo experiment came from a Boy Scout troop project. The troop leader took the idea to some Buick bosses who were kind enough to let him and a few of his fellow engineer buddies work on it AFTER WORKING HOURS. A lot of the confusion of "T-type" (the suspension package), "Turbo-T", "Turbo Regal" or "Regal / Regal Limited with turbo option" came from the fact they really did not know from one model year to the next if Buick would approve the original design, improved design (w/ inner-cooler), an additional model "Buick Regal Grand National" or just add a trim level i.e. "Base", "Limited", "T package", Grand National". The MSO on an 85 does not mention "Grand National", only 1985 Buick Regal Coupe. In 87 the MSO reflected "1987 Buick Regal Grand National". I was a salesman for a Buick dealership during those years, it was nearly impossible to keep up with the constant changing of terminology, name plates and options available and in what combination. Keep in mind this was also the time when GM began "grouping" options. You could no longer order a car with certain options unless you bought the "appearance package" or the "convenience package". Certain colors were only available on certain trim levels, etc. Back to the original question: a GN is a Buick regal with the turbo option and the WE2 option package which included several things (the two color bucket seats w/ console, black out trim, posi-trac rear end, special alum or steel wheels (depending on the year) and a few other goodies. Otherwise, every option avail on a GN was also avail on any other regal, turbo or not. And several options avail or reg Regal coupes were NOT avail on with the WE2 package. (i.e. two-tone paint). And BTW, I was joking about the primer delete to reduce weight on the TR's :) I'm sure some other experts will weigh in and correct me on some of this but this is the facts as I remember them and heard them from the people that were actually there. But the one thing I'm still not quite sure of is exactly how many GN's were sent to Roswell NM to be "enhanced" for the FBI. That is a highly guarded government secret:cool:

Good write up. Not to split hairs with you but not all GN's had positraction from the factory. I had one that didn't come with it. No G80 code on the RPO decal either.

Neal

Good write up. Not to split hairs with you but not all GN's had positraction from the factory. I had one that didn't come with it. No G80 code on the RPO decal either.

Neal
You could be correct on that one, I'm guessing an 87?? During the build out in 87 some rules were "bent" to meet the demand. Just over 1400 85's to almost 20,000 87's. They got popular in a hurry. BTW, Buick built 87's right up until the very last minute (some say midnight Dec 31) to fill as many orders as possible. Pretty amazing!

Hey guys, don't forget about the 84's as well! It might not hold up to the standards as the later years but is still black and has the the same symbol less the intercooled badge on the front fender! So are we not part of the family?

You could be correct on that one, I'm guessing an 87?? During the build out in 87 some rules were "bent" to meet the demand. Just over 1400 85's to almost 20,000 87's. They got popular in a hurry. BTW, Buick built 87's right up until the very last minute (some say midnight Dec 31) to fill as many orders as possible. Pretty amazing!

The one I had without positraction was an '87. It was probably an oversight but if there is one I have to think the are more out there.

Neal

Casey Jensen said:
Hey guys, don't forget about the 84's as well! It might not hold up to the standards as the later years but is still black and has the the same symbol less the intercooled badge on the front fender! So are we not part of the family?

Just pisses me off when looking for parts and everything listed is usually 86-87. Otherwise it's 85-87. WTF is the deal with that! When I have the place to store one, I will have an 87 because I want one of the first and one of the last, but until then I don't want to be out of the picture till then.

Neal

That moonroof 86 gn I bought from you way back when didn't have posi. I did push it to 12.88@108 pretty stock on that open rear end though. I wish I still had that car... friggin thieves..

Actually for the '87 cars and probably the other years too, the sales literature broke down each option package pretty well, especially in the thicker sales book, the one with the wheels and radios listed, colors, and options broken out for each model.

I checked with my source and I stand corrected, the G80 limited slip diff was NOT required with the WE2 GN option as I stated earlier. It was suggested but not required.

salvageV6 said:
Actually for the '87 cars and probably the other years too, the sales literature broke down each option package pretty well, especially in the thicker sales book, the one with the wheels and radios listed, colors, and options broken out for each model.

I need to get me one of those books