Diffrence between 85 87

K3ViN

im new to turbobuick.com. i was wondering what the diffrences between the 85 type t and 87 type t / GN? where does the extra 45hp come from? also are there any major diffrence between the 2?

Originally posted by K3ViN
im new to turbobuick.com. i was wondering what the diffrences between the 85 type t and 87 type t / GN? where does the extra 45hp come from?

AN INTERCOOLER!!!

an intercooler is the biggest single difference. just look at the engines of the 2, there a lot different. you can intercool an 84-85, but it wont' be the same. if nothing else the turbo is in the back of the engine, and the air has to go from the back, to the front, then into the engine, thats a lot of distance to cover and will result in a lot of turbo lag. I don't know hardly anythign about the 84-85's but i do know they don't run as good, i'm not sure exactly why.

so i take it you guys would recommend a 87? is the motor itself the same between the 85 and 87? are the manifolds interchangable? thanks a lot for the info guys.

Welcome to Turbobuick K3Vin, the cars themselves look pretty much the same, the Grand Nationals are all black while the T types come in various colors with chrome bumpers and trim. The 86-87 will usually cost two to three times more to buy than an 84-85 depending on condition.

The engine is the big difference, and while the shortblocks are about the same, all external parts are different, improvements from 84-5 to 86-7 include:

Intercooler
Better intake and exhaust manifolds
Bigger turbo, better throttle body position
Better electronics, computer, ignition coil,MAF sensor (other sensors also)

Go to the search forum at bottom of forum page and enter some search words, example:

85 vs 87
difference 85 87

You can find more there.

To anyone else, is it possible or has anyone though to start a sticky on this subject, could be worth it.:confused: :confused:

i think a sticky on this would be a great idea so noobs like me don't have to ask. thanks for the welcome TRiv and the info. i would love to pick up a 87 but i plan on making this my daily driver. i currently have a lexus sc300 with a 2jz-gte (i know its an import) and a 400rwhp MR2 (but its pretty much sold to my friend).