different length grooves in set of main bearings

tttype

Just opened a clevite main bearing set & one upper bearing has less groove than the rest. question is which location is this bearing supposed to go in ?

Attachments

• bearings.jpg
    bearings.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 132
What's the reason for this, Richard? BTW, the tang looks smaller on that "short groove" bearing...
ihe idea is to reduce the flow of oil past the parting line of the bearing to possiby reduce the chance of rear seal leakage

the tangs are the same size on all three, its only the indentation on the bearing side that's different.
Thanks for info Rich. while your here which way should the rear seal go ? Cross section of seal is a V shape , should point of < be into engine or toward rear ?

thanks

the tangs are the same size on all three, its only the indentation on the bearing side that's different.
Thanks for info Rich. while your here which way should the rear seal go ? Cross section of seal is a V shape , should point of < be into engine or toward rear ?

thanks
not exactly sure about your description of the V ?? I think i know what your are asking.........imagine that one way the oil would approach (bottom of V) the seal and it would tend to lay the lip down......i think thats your description of the V pointing into the engine........you don't want that since the oil would bypass the seal.......the other way the oil tends to enter the opening (top) of the V and actually lift the seal pushing it against the crank to seal it tighten it......thats your description of the V pointing away from the engine ?.........if this is not perfectly clear get someone else to explain it to you

That's correct the thumb with the oil on it is the side that goes toward engine, don't forget to install seal with one side sticking up about 1/8 of an inch on one side same for cap side so the split isn't in same spot as cap split,cuts down on leaks,almost makes it one piece like the newer seals.