Diesel tractor fuel question

buickspec6231

I am looking at buying an older diesel backhoe to do a bunch of dirt work on a piece of property I am buying. My question isn't about what tractor to get, but rather what is the best way to combat the ultra-low sulfur diesel fuels? Just as ethanol is bad for our older gas engines, low sulfur and lower cetane ratings are bad for the older diesel engines. I can't afford a new tractor so that is not an option. Just don't want to prematurely kill off a good engine because of crappy fuel.

What kind of tractor are you looking to find ?? J/D 410 is nice case makes a few ford has some jcb I would be careful of parts are hard to get hydrologic fittings and hoses. I have always used off road diesel with no issues

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That was hard to read. There loads of people I have heard mix in ATF or motor oil to the fuel. There are probably as many theories and suggestions about what to mix as there are people here giving ideas about what boost to run.

Im not brand or model particular. All I care is that it works when I need it to. Just trying to get an idea of what people run in it. I agree about there being as many suggestions about mixtures as boost levels as your stated. I spent a couple hours reading and found lots of contradictions and chest puffing on the diesel forums. So I figured I would give this a shot. I'm new to yellow equipment and have to ease my way in to the information.

Todays diesel fuel is very low in sulphur content and does not have much lubricating quality. Older diesel engine have mechanical injectors and do not tolerate todays fuel,resulting in premature wear on older injectors. Use off road fuel if possible. Use diesel fuel addative that has lubricant in it.

I use off road diesel with a stanadyne fuel additive for lubrication in my tractor. It's also not a bad idea to run the lubricant additive in anything diesel. I run it in my 02 Duramax

I use off road diesel with a stanadyne fuel additive for lubrication in my tractor. It's also not a bad idea to run the lubricant additive in anything diesel. I run it in my 02 Duramax

How does the Stanadyne work on water. The pumps south of the river have been awful this year.

Yes off-road diesel is low sulfur. All the diesel in the US is and the new tractors have dpfs. I have no problems running the low sulfur fuel in my tractors but adding atf or two-stroke oil can help.

sent while napping in a cherry orchard

How does the Stanadyne work on water. The pumps south of the river have been awful this year.

They have an emulsifier additive also just for issues like yours. I get mine at City Diesel in Decatur.

Thanks for all the info guys. Seems like there are lots of options available. I ended up picking up a used 4wd Massey-Ferguson at a great rate. It needs a few parts, so while I am at the dealer I will ask what they recommend for the Perkins Diesel engine.