Did I lose my torque converter? Or pump?

lyonsd

A couple years ago I swapped out my stock digital dash in my '87 GN for a GNX-style one from Performance Instruments (Tom Houser). I lost my VSS in the swap, so I've been riding around with a paper clip to keep the converter locked. Visited the strip 4 or 5 times and raced it with the paper clip.

I like to take the paper clip out for driving around when there's a lot of stop 'n' go. But I don't always take it out. Today I took it out to make a trip to the store.

Went to the store fine. On the way back, going down the road, I goosed it a little and the engine revved and the car didn't pull. :eek:

Changed gears - same thing in all gears. It pulled "slightly". I barely made it up a hill.

Fortunately, I was close to the shop that has done a lot of work on my car, so I pulled it in there.

He listened to it. Sounded a bit like a buzz saw. Thinks it's either the converter or the pump.

What do you think?

I would think the car would not move at all if the pump were broke? I have busted alot of transmissions in my day. Could be torque converter.

Thanks for the replies. I'm guessing converter too. Well, there's anther $1300-$1400 down the drain.

I've got a stock turbo, but I will eventually get an upgraded one. Not sure exactly which one. But running high 10s would be nice, if possible.

I'd like to get the biggest ball bearing turbo available that will require the minimum amount of mods regarding my stock intercooler, headers and TH downpipe.

That said, what stall converter should I get?

Dusty will know. Don't get too much stall with the stroker motor. I got my 3500 stall when I had a stockish combo and my stroker motor is killing it now. I will probably go much lower on stall when I get a new converter and good BB turbo. Maybe 2800 to 3000 ish?

Just ordered a Vigilante single disk lock-up from Full Throttle. Thanks Mike L.

That was a mistake I have one just like the one you got nothing wrong with buying from full throttle that's we're I got mine but if you put much power to it at all you will drive through it big time. They have a lot of slippage my next one will be a none lock up from Dusty for sure lesson learned just my opinion and my experience

X3. Check the thread l started about weird transmission noises. If yours sounds like that it will be your stator support.

I bet it's neither the pump or the converter. I'll put my vote on a stripped stator support.
Me too!
If you run w/ the paper clip on that 1 disc Vigilante, I'd suspect the disc material will end up in the pan....