Diagnose my carb problem

MNcarbturbo

What's Fuel Injection?
Whenever I am running around at below 40MPH and smash the throttle (WOT) I notice my vaccum guage sometimes jumps. Goes up to 8PSI then jumps back to 25" of vauume then jumps back to zero. All in a fraction of a second After once or twice of that (about 50% of the time) the car starts to pull and boost. I cant tell what its doing for sure. Kindof hear a slight poping sound and the engine sounds like it stops or hesitates. Worse at low speeds than at highway speeds. Took 2 shaky vidoes to show.

Sounds like the secondaries aren't opening right. I'm guessing but you might want to check the pull off at the front of the carb to see if it's working right.

Ill try to do that. Aparently the previous owner rebuilt the carb so theres a good chance it got messed up.

Its the plan in the future. Theres a 650 Holly vacuum secondary sitting on a truck that needs an engine rebuild. If the truck wasnt used it would be on.

Here we go again. A Holley isn't the fix for everything Aj. I'll just have to prove it to you one of these days. (big sigh)

it wouldnt be anyfun if I didnt rib ya once and awhile!

A.j.

Sorry Aj, I was a little craby last night. I'm working on a blasted back hoe right now and it's a pain.

As far as using the Holley you need to see what's going on with the Q-jet and make sure it doesn't happen on the Holley.

Sorry Aj, I was a little craby last night. I'm working on a blasted back hoe right now and it's a pain.

As far as using the Holley you need to see what's going on with the Q-jet and make sure it doesn't happen on the Holley.

LOL aww no worry Boss.

we all have rough days. Thats why I drink like a fish.

but its abosolutly true about making sure that its not something else before messing with the carb.

:biggrin:A.j.

Is the waste gate opening up to early here?? or some vaccum leak. Just a thought.My car would boost to 9psi then start to hesitate and u could see boost gauge dropping before my eyes adjusted the waste gate and boost's hard now no hesitation.As for popping maybe quadrajet is starving in the secondaries

My Q-jet used to go lean just as the boost started to come up.
Resulted in a nasty lean backfire thru the carb. scary.
I played with the accelerator pump shot and secondary opening rate, maybe I richened it up too, don't recall... long time ago.
The Q-jet always worked well for me.

Kinda fooled around with it today. Engine was cold but the choke was open so it shouldnt matter. When it idled and I gave 50% throttle I heard a pop and felt a small puf of air come out the air box. Pulled off the carb hat and did the same thing and a white plume of air came out the top of the carb. There was some fuel mixed it too. I am starting to think its almost more with my cam degreeing than my carb now. Whenever the engine gets fuel and air too fast it "burps". I hate to call it a backfire because it isnt that loud and there isnt any flames.

Not sure if im going to get the engine worked on this spring or not. Found a 85 salon and 82 parts car for $500. 85 has a nice interior so it looks like the powerplant will be taking a break unless I scrape some funds together.

Yes. Pulls the timing back when it revs up. I know that the recomended is like 15 and I have it set to 18 initital.

Since were talkin carbs here. I was wondering if anyone knew casting numbers off the turbo carbs. I'm pretty sure the one on my car isn't. The only numbers I found on it were on the drivers side of the carb as follows:
2649 CNO

Since i'm pretty sure this isn't a turbo carb. Does anyone know where I can get a good reman or has anyone gone the route of a turbo specific holley?

Thanks for the link. That was indeed helpful. The reason I thought my carb wasn't a turbo carb was that when it makes boost it pushes out the main metering rods so when I come off full throttle she runs uber rich. I guess I just need to figure out which vacuum line goes to the metering rods.