DFI communication issues

Dave King

I"ve been tuning a guys car with Accel DFI. It's been all recently updated with firmware and I got the latest software for it.

To make a long story short I initially used a USB key cable to setup the car initially. It got very unstable and kept losing communications. They told me to send in that cable, purchase a Serial Key cable and a Keyspan USB adapter cable. I did that, now the laptop doesn't want to communicate at all with the ECM. If I use a serial cable that doesn't have a key (that originally came with it) it at least opens up the program and then gets communication errors when it try's to see the ECMS file. The new serial key cable wont go past the opening screen no matter what I do.

The Keyspan adpater goes to port 4 and I right click and tell the DFI to communicate with port 4 but it just doesn't work.

AT least with the USB key cable it worked and I could tune the car although it would lose communication every 5 minutes. The only way I could get it to re-communicate was to do a full reboot.

Can anyone give me any help or advice? I"m at the end of my patience with this setup and the owner of the car is getting really frustrated.

Thanks

Dave

Forgot to mention that I'm running Windows XP Service pack 2 - 32 bit. Laptop is a newer Gateway laptop has a Celeron 1.5G processor and 750 Meg of ram. I've had other tuning systems on this laptop and they've worked.

More info I forgot to mention

I”ve been on the phone with Keyspan and downloaded all the correct drivers. In device manager it says the device is working fine. Keyspan also has a little program called Keyspan serial assistant and when I check it there it says everything is working properly. I have 4 USB ports and I’ve tried all 4 and they all have the same results.

Stick with the USB prokey and a serial communication cable with the keyspan. That new usb ket cable they have has a bunch of issues from what I've seen and heard.