Detonation Prob Solved!

Fastair6

I just thought that this would be important for those new to the turbo TA world like me and have an alky set-up.

Past couple months i've been getting increased detonation at 8 to 10 pounds of boost and it was steadily getting worse. I checked my alky pump and wiring especially the map sensor connection, fuel pressure rise w/boost, backed off timing in the chip (turbo tweak alky), cam sensor reluctor ring, crank sensor setting, borrowed known good coil pack/module/wires, changed plugs (r42lts gapped at 30), injector harness w/noid lights and even changed gas stations hoping for bad gas. Nothing worked.

I finally removed the pump and bench tested it. Pump works fine so i hooked it back on the car and rigged it to test just like on the bench. Same good results. As i was putting the battery back in for the final time i noticed the ground going to the fender was corroded and essentially falling out of the negative cable end. Replaced the ground cable and now the alky system works outstanding. Detonation is gone up to 25 lbs of boost @ 21 degrees timing.

The part thats crazy is the test button worked ok and the indicator light inside the car also showed everything was ok. Without having a pressure gauge in the car at all times you would never know the alky system was not working at full capacity all caused by a bad ground that was slowly getting worse.

I hope this will help someone in the future.

JB, 89 TTA 1081

Funny how we all overlook ground connections when they are as important as power connections. Especially on 20+ year old cars..

Glad you found your issue :)

Thanks Razor. I thank all the members on this board for helping me. I just started looking through the old posts and went step by step as i found more info on troubleshooting the parts i had and was able to verify they were good. This saved me hundreds if not thousands of dollars in replacement parts. It might have taken me a little longer, but i learned a great deal along the way.

Thanks again to everyone that responds to problems posted here.

Razor, I'll be contacting you soon for a pressure tester.

JB

If I have learned one thing at all from working on cars (or anything mechanical with an electronic controller), is that you ALWAYS check the ground first. Dad has beat that into my head, EVERYTIME I call Julio for help he asks about the ground, and anytime you install aftermarket parts the ground is crucial.

You can't half-ass it at all!

Glad ya found it. Also proves that people running around without an scantool are running on borrowed time...

Jason