Deleting the oil cooler.

robertf

So if the car is not tracked, rarely driven except sunny days and rarely hammered on is is safe to delete the oil cooler? Oil is change every 1000 miles or so.

Is it leaking? Or have you contaminated your oiling system due to an engine failure? If the answer is no to the above questions I wouldn't touch anything that isn't broken. But many other people run with the oil cooler disconnected without a problem. So I see no reason you would have an issue if you choose to do so

Last edited:
I have ran without a oil cooler for along time . Now if you are trying to delete it just to delete it I would leave it hooked up now
If u had some metal flakes in your oil and you are doing a rebuild by all mean run without it . Don't fix what isn't broken is what I've heard over the years . Just my option .

Yea, the question is why? I blew my engine 5 years ago so i never hooked back up. Havent miss it but would still be using it if i didnt have to rebuild. Can always hook up external if you need a rebuild, but if not may as well leave it alone.

The radiator mounted engine oil heat exchanger has two functions.

During cold start, it helps warm the engine oil to operating temperature.

Once the oil temperature exceeds the engine coolant temperature, the heat exchanger removes heat from the oil.

Heat transfer only occurs in one direction. Heat transfers to cool.

Well I just removed it. I do plan on an external quite soon when I find the best location for one.

After the Biggie adapter bolt, this was going to be the next filter upgrade. I found a water cooled flow through cooler by Dana that was being sold through MOPAR. It fit like a charm and basically brought the Regal oil cooler up to the TTA style. Just as I was getting adapter bolts made, DANA discontinued the cooler. I believe one went to Lonnie and I held on to one for my Regal RIM00022.JPG RIM00023.JPG

Mine's been disconnected/gone for about 6 years.

Car gets street driven all the time and is flogged on at the drag strip on a regular basis.

No issues.

I took mine off just last fall as I went to an F body rad. I think if your a stickler and change your oil on a very regular basis you should be fine.

So if the car is not tracked, rarely driven except sunny days and rarely hammered on is is safe to delete the oil cooler? Oil is change every 1000 miles or so.
You don't need the cooler.the car will run fine without it.

Being I am just now eliminating it I'd like to at least block off the bottom one.

If you find a source for the plugs, can you let me know where to get them. Thanks

I'm guessing I have a bigger oil filter/adapter, because when I took the oil cooler, off my filter would not fit. what filter number do I use when I eliminate the oil cooler? the factory filter?

I'm guessing I have a bigger oil filter/adapter, because when I took the oil cooler, off my filter would not fit. what filter number do I use when I eliminate the oil cooler? the factory filter?
I use Wix 51036. Came recommended to me by other GN owners. Napa carries them.

I use Wix 51036. Came recommended to me by other GN owners. Napa carries them.

Or, once removed, add a "biggie" adaptor (available from many vendors here) and use the WIX 51143 or Napa Gold 1143. Both made by WIX.

This is my set up.