Delayed shifts... no OD... might not have drive either, HELP!

johnnyttype

So i JUST finished replacing head gaskets and dealin with some piston ring issues about a week ago! Engine running great, im on top of the world and goin easy on the car... then on the way home from some classes today i started to notice that something was actin up???

The shift points of my tranny seemed a little higher than normal, shifts feelt the same though, and i havd all gears working on the way home...

Then car sat in the garage for 3 hours... got ready to go to a friends house, pulled out onto my front street and the car wound 1st gear out a little more than normal, small flag raised!

Then i get onto next street and 2-3 shift was late too, bigger flag raised...

Then i got on a road, speed limit 50... 1-2 shift was late but firm, 2-3 shift was noticeably late... really wound out engine to get to it... and OD never engaged, nor the t. conv., Time to turn around and get back home...

On way back, 1-2 shift got really late and by my second to last street it would not go in 3rd gear:eek:

What is going on????? Everytime the car decel it did a little engine braking, rather than coasting like if it was in OD. it was like i put it in 2nd and drove it around after a while???/:confused:

Thanks for any help you guys can give me! I was really planning on taking this thing to Ocean city next weekend but that plan just took a groin shot:frown:

John

cool, im hopin its that spring! you have a picture of one of those or is it pretty hard to miss if i pull the pan and governor out?!

i took the car out today with the powerlogger hooked up to get a better idea of what is going on now...

1-2 shift seems completely normal, there is NO 2-3... on the powerlogger 3rd gear oil never gets checked off(if that means anything or will help), if i get above 40mph or so it will shift into OD/4th(4th gear oil is checked in box on PL) but the torque converter will NOT lock up under normal driving...

Any ideas now???

i took the car out today with the powerlogger hooked up to get a better idea of what is going on now...

1-2 shift seems completely normal, there is NO 2-3... on the powerlogger 3rd gear oil never gets checked off(if that means anything or will help), if i get above 40mph or so it will shift into OD/4th(4th gear oil is checked in box on PL) but the torque converter will NOT lock up under normal driving...

Any ideas now???

Kind of sounds now like you may have picked up some debris in the valvebody shift valves.
Take it for a ride and manually shift the trans a bit and see if it settles down. You can also disconnect the TV cable while the car is running and give it a few pulls and try to dislodge any foreign matter.

Kind of sounds now like you may have picked up some debris in the valvebody shift valves.
Take it for a ride and manually shift the trans a bit and see if it settles down. You can also disconnect the TV cable while the car is running and give it a few pulls and try to dislodge any foreign matter.

ive actually done all of that!!! nothing changed when i did that... i have absolutely no 2-3 or 3rd gear... and its not like i felt it slipping before it failed... it was alwaays a little soft but never got any softer???

What throws me is that the ECM never sees the 3rd gear oil signal? wouldn't that mean that it is not even trying to engage??? its getting no pressure?!

thanks so far guys! anything i can do, different checks, and i can try them tomorrrow probably!

my car is doing almost exact same thing,but mine will not drop back to low unless i manually pull it back.i have to wind it out to get it to shift.hope somebody can help with your problem,as it may be my fix also......:mad::biggrin:

my car is doing almost exact same thing,but mine will not drop back to low unless i manually pull it back.i have to wind it out to get it to shift.hope somebody can help with your problem,as it may be my fix also......:mad::biggrin:

yea, im hopin i can figure it out... ill let you know, im foing to take the pan off tomorrow probably and take a look see!

Any ideas now???

Got to be a VB problem. You need direct to get OD. 3rd clutch and OD clutch on at same time. You try manual 3rd?

Got to be a VB problem. You need direct to get OD. 3rd clutch and OD clutch on at same time. You try manual 3rd?

Yea, i saw that on my handy diagnosis guide/card for the THM 200-4R... tells me whats applied or holding in every gear/position...

I have tried manual third, still same result... wish i had a hydraulic diagram or somethin... could the fluid take a different route in the VB to apply the direct clutch for the OD/4th shift? Cause it makes absolutely no sense otherwise that i can have no direct clutch apply in 3rd, but have it in 4th???!

Im thinkin it might be time to pull the VB and maybe do CK's shift recal. kit or something, while cleaning out all valves and stuff?! Think thats a good idea?

ok, so i got enough time today to drive the car again and then get the pan off after school and what not...

Before driving, i started the car, pulled TV cable off tbody and worked it in and out, then reattached and test drove... immediately, the 1-2 shift WAS late again(everytime i work the TV cable before driving the shift points seem to be screwed up?), no 2-3 shift, and the "2-4" shift only happened at 55mph with no throttle input... as soon as i touched it, it went straight back to 2nd gear??? Got back home, car sat a while, then drove again with a friend in the car... 1-2 was normal now, no 2-3, then i got a normal "2-4" shift at 40mph... Then im pretty damn sure the Torque converter locked up!??? so then i manually downshifted to 3rd... straight to 2nd gear it went??? Got back home took pan off...

Fluid was a little dark, not brown, no shavings or anything in the pan, just some clutch material. Pulled the governor out...

Is it only supposed to have one spring??? cause there is a check ball on both sides, and a machined little surface that looks like a spring should sit there, is the one spring GN specific?

I had to stop there... if the governor is normal the valve body will come out tomorrow to be inspected and cleaned... i think i might order the CK recalibration kit will im gonna be in there!

well... looks like the tranny is gonna need to be gone through and probably freshened up:frown:

Removed, disasembled and cleaned valve body.... installed CK recal kit, got car up and running for a test drive, still having the same basic problem...

1-2 good, i think i got the 2-3 shift maybe once or twice.... MAYBE... then i know its goin into overdrive, but is it possible that its going into 2nd gear overdrive??? cause the rpm's in OD r too high... and the torque converter is locking up pretty much every time now.

Im thinking either a seal, ring, whatever... has gone bad, maybe on the center support or something... oorrrr the direct clutch is just fried... cause i did seem to have some almost sticky, tar like substance in the pan and in a few spots on the seperator plate.. clutches maybe... really burnt clutches?

Update

Well i figured its time for an update on the trans... seeing how i just got finished tearing through it...

I had a good old fashion case of a fried direct drum... and the seals on the direct piston were busted!