Deep pan

IWANTONE

I recently purchased T/A performance's cast-aluminum transmission pan for the 200-R4 transmission. It measures 4" deep from gasket to end of fins. It LOOKS like it will allow sufficient ground clearance, but I'm not sure.

Before I go ahead and itstall this, anyone have any experience with deep trans pans on TTA's? any/all info is appreciated.

Thanks,
R

Hi,
All I can tell you is, watch the speed bumps! And sharp drops out of gas stations, shopping malls, etc. Our cars don't have a lot of ground clearance. It will probably be ok, but being aluminum,it will crack in a heartbeat, if hit.And what a mess that would be...
I was pulling out of a shell station recently,and it had a sharp incline to street level,and my tailpipes dragged. I have stock located tips. I know we are talking angles here. The engine and trans pan were no where near contact, but a couple of inches could make a difference.Perhaps you could fabricate a shield to pevent any possible damage.
Better yet, just stick with stock. With a good cooler,what is the value of an extended pan, anyway? Not more fluid, as the 200 already has about a 13 quart capacity.
Bottom line,if it aint broke, don't fix it! Good luck with your issue!

I have one on my TTA. Never had an issue YET.. but get the ibby jibby's :eek: when I go over manhole covers sticking above the street surface.

Never hit anything, actually the DP will hit before the pan will.

OK, Thanks.

I guess I'll put it on then.

By the way, they do work in lowering trans temps. I have one (TCI) on my '02 Z-28 and it made a world of difference, even with a trans cooler already installed.

R

Never hit anything, actually the DP will hit before the pan will.

That's what I was going to say. Is the DP (Expansion joint) lower than the pan?

I scrap the DP on some large speed bumps even though I go super slow. But if I have a passenger, it scraps too much for my nerves. So I hardly take people for rides.

That's what I was going to say. Is the DP (Expansion joint) lower than the pan?

I scrap the DP on some large speed bumps even though I go super slow. But if I have a passenger, it scraps too much for my nerves. So I hardly take people for rides.

Haha I would hate to say that to a girl..."can I go for a ride?" "no you will weigh the car down and make the downpipe hit" :eek:

Haha I would hate to say that to a girl..."can I go for a ride?" "no you will weigh the car down and make the downpipe hit" :eek:

Well, actually I was about to say Male Passengers . . . Women (at least my kind of women) don't cause it to scrap. :cool:

I'm using a pan that is slightly deeper made specifically for the TTA. I've never had issues with it scraping, but I'm pretty picky about how I drive it and where.
It allows for a bigger filter and it positions the filter pick-up towards the back of the pan so that on launch the oil doesn't slosh away from the pick-up. Picks installed at following address, if you want one I'll have to do some looking as I'm at work in Nashville and the car and all my boxes and receipts are in Kentucky.
http://www.my89turbotransam.com/slideshow/12.shtml

Well, I got it on today and everything seems ok. It was a bit of a PITA as it was 95 degrees here. Also, I had trouble getting out the old trans filter gasket/O-ring and had to use an exacto knife to cut it out.

Took a test drive and clearance seems ok. Just need to avoid steep driveways, as always.