Death of a Cobra

turbo nasty

Turbo Dojo / MNTR
Out cruisin' around last night when I noticed a whole pile of long grain imports on the side of the highway passed by once and figured I would pull in and see what wuz up.... Noticed a cherry 2000 or 2001 Mustang Cobra in the pack also. After chit-chat for about an hour I finally got around to the owner of the snake. Get this 19 years old and has a Cobra convertable he has headers, no cats race pipe, 2.5 cat back w/2 chamber flowmasters, 62mm thrott. bods, perf. chip/module, huge cone intake filter, gears are lik 4.33 or 4.88. Real nice kid...said he had a bud let him borrow some slicks and he turned 12.8's(pump gas) .. I didn't even try to get him cause I just don't know the cobras that well ....I have butchered a few GT's but they are strong usually wasn't by more than 1/2 - 3/4 a car and of course my wheel spin city does not help ....any way just wondering if any has put the smack down on a Cobra with a mild modded GN as with myself....call it some homework before I step to the plate.

Hmmmmm, if you were setup in total street trim it would probably come down to driving. I have slaughtered 3 new Cobras - 1 was a SALEEN :) . This past weekend I was driving home with my wife around midnight and I saw one ahead of me weaving through cars. I got through and started to roll up on him and he braked and slowed to about 20MPH. I stayed beside him and he counted off with his fingers 1 2 3. We were side by side and once I spooled up I shot by like he was standing still! I pulled about 5 lengths and let off and told my wife "Get ready for the Fly-By!" . Sure enough he flew by me at full throttle - well above 100. I caught him at the next light and he rolled his window down and said "I want one of those!". He wouldn't race again. I was on pump gas and about 17PSI (knocking a little;) ).

I think he'll beat you. Stock Cobras are quite a bit quicker than Stock GTs. The fact that he has a convertible doesn't help him. But his low rear gears certainly will. As will the exhaust.

Turn up the boost, get a race chip and some high octane fuel, and some drag radials and you'll beat him.

Snake Charmers

Well my self I haven't killed any Cobras as of yet. But a friend of mine StreetKing and Iwent out sometime back in his 86 T-Type, and whooped up on 2 Saleens,1 Ram Air Blackbird 2000,1 SS Camaro 2000. The car that gave us a run but was still dropped was an old 70-71 Buick GS with a transplanted Poncho 400 running 200 shot of NOS,ladder bars,slicks,skinnies up front, gutted interior. This was done in one night. This was done on a stock block with over 120k on it. T-49,THDP,009's,ET streets, Lubrant race chip,race gas, and 20lbs of boost. This ugly/sleeper needs a paint job real bad T-type is pretty quick and has gained the respect of the street crowd(most won't race anymore). Since that time my good friend has upgraded to aT-52,50's a front mount , shift kit/Transgo,9" art Carr SC. Haven't been to the track but he's hoping to break into the 11's here at altitude. Since the upgrade she's been on the street and has spanked GT's running juice, however his last run was against a new SS Camaro LS1 that was Vortexed and he beat him out of the hole not from a roll, and won by a car length, the Camaro beat him the 2nd run from a roll. There 3rd run was from a standstill and he beat the Camaro out of the hole but at 70mph he had to pull out of it , because of the Audible KNOCK as sounded like he blew the motor. The Camaro was quick and the 120k plus motor just couldn't hold up for one more spanking. He should have her back soon as the engine is getting rebuilt by Duttweiler, so she should be able to withstand a little more abuse!:eek: