Dead spot in TPS tried three dif ones

SixOn66

Finally A Racing Member
I just got done with an engine swap in my buddies car. We can not get the TPS to register .44 or .4 anything. I goes from .38 to .54. The IAC is at 98 most of the time also. We tried the TPS that came with the engine and the one that was on the engine, then we bought a new one from rockauto. They all do the same thing. We put caspers pos and ground strecher kit on when we did the swap. We have a trans plus, Z06 MAF and powerlogger on now also.
Any ideas why there is a dead spot on three TPS sensors? We bought three and have not tried any of the other two.
Thanks in advance,
MJH

i was chasing my tail on an idle issue dealing with this and then i realized :eek: i had the tps arm on the wrong side of the roll pin that is on the throttle blade shaft. (dumbass i know) it wasn't letting the throttle blade close completely (keeping iac's up) and then it wasn't depressing with the throttle blade. hope this helps. also may wanna check ur connectors on the pigtail. :D

Thanks. I looked at the color order (ABC) of the wires on his car and the two of mine. They are the same. Think Grey Blue Black. If the roll pin was on the other side the tps would not move with the pedal right?
MJH

Thanks. I looked at the color order (ABC) of the wires on his car and the two of mine. They are the same. Think Grey Blue Black. If the roll pin was on the other side the tps would not move with the pedal right?
MJH
make sure none of the pins are bent in the pigtail and the tps arm should be on the front side (towards the radiator) of the roll pin. the car will still rev, when it's on the wrong side, but it just won't act right. tps and iac #'s were way off. when i fixed mine and set the iac and tps is was a different car.

i had to file the " half moon " retainers to get mine to set properly, once that was done the settings were easy to get.

I had a problem with a Big TB that had side to side play causing a sticking problem. It would stay above .5 unless you closed the blade with your hand under the hood then read in the .3's Make sure its clean inside there too. A ring of dirt or carbon can cause issues also.

It will do the same thing with the TPS off the car plugged in and moving it by hand. so its not the tb or roll pin.

:confused: sorry my input couldn't help. i'm stumped on this one now? maybe someone else will chime in that can get ya straight.

Sounds like a high resistance connection in the weatherpack. If any of the seals fail, the terminals within pick up corrosion, making a less-than-adequate connection. I'd take a good look at the 3 way weatherpack. Also, check to see that the 5 volt signal on the gray wire is steady and consistent.

Sounds like a high resistance connection in the weatherpack. If any of the seals fail, the terminals within pick up corrosion, making a less-than-adequate connection. I'd take a good look at the 3 way weatherpack. Also, check to see that the 5 volt signal on the gray wire is steady and consistent.

I might have to blame the person that changed the weatherpack then. ;)
This is the one you put for us on Billy's car earlier in the summer. I will check the voltage on the grey wire.
Thanks
MJH

I tried putting a volt meter on it thursday night. I was not getting 5 volts on the gray wire. I gave Bill, John's number for him to call Friday and make sure I was checking it right. But he did not call.
I we are not 5 steady volts how do we fix that. The car has Caspers ground stretcher and HD Positive cable kits on it.

My TPS sensor had a dead spot causing a pop like a bad coil pack at high boost. A new TPS sensor fixed it. Did you say you tried 3 different ones and they are all bad? Any chance you can borrow a known good one and try it?

He had two and we bought three more from rockauto. I suppose I could just plug any of them into one of my cars and check it out by moving it with my finger. I'm kinda doubting the sensors since I could not get 5 volts on the gray wire. When I get the proper procedure to on how to check the voltage I will move forward with the troubleshooting.