Dead Battery?

vader87

Protected Freedom for 27 years! Thank a Veteran!
Looking for some suggestions of what might be draining the battery. First I have a new battery, new 200 AMP alt., and new +/- cables. The car is charging according to the Scanmaster and does great if driven every few days. If the car sits for a week, the battery is dead. Any ideas where to start looking? Thanks for your time!

YOu have what is called an "Ignition Off Draw" . The best way to find it is to Disconnect the Pos battery cable an hook an DVOM (multimeter) Between the cable and the battery. Set it to AMPS. Then close all your doors so that all the lights and such are OFF. Note your amp reading. If memory serves me correctly I believe that anything over .005 amps is too much. Anyway....Then start pulling fuses One by One and see if the reading drops. Make sure you have the doors closed when you get out to check the meter. Whe you have found the one that makes it drop then you have isolated the circuit that needs attention. Start there and let us know what you find. Hope this helps. Jeremy:D

Will give it a try this weekend and post results. Thanks!

Clock radio problem? I have read something here about that before.
Break light switch.
Trunk Light.

Just some guesses.

I've troubleshot this problem many times on these cars. It's almost always one of three things. Fan delay relay, alarm, or stereo.

No arlarm or stereo. How can you tell the fan relay is acting up?

Just disconnect the connection to the fan delay relay and see if the problem still exists.

Optima battery? My Optima was dead in 2 days.

I go over a month on my Sears Platinum.

YOu have what is called an "Ignition Off Draw" . The best way to find it is to Disconnect the Pos battery cable an hook an DVOM (multimeter) Between the cable and the battery. Set it to AMPS. Then close all your doors so that all the lights and such are OFF. Note your amp reading. If memory serves me correctly I believe that anything over .005 amps is too much. Anyway....Then start pulling fuses One by One and see if the reading drops. Make sure you have the doors closed when you get out to check the meter. Whe you have found the one that makes it drop then you have isolated the circuit that needs attention. Start there and let us know what you find. Hope this helps. Jeremy:D

X1. This procedure works well.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Mine was the trunk light. Before that it was the clock....so removed the AC and tried to build a 10 second TR..:biggrin:

your not suppose to do the positive.. your suppose to do the negative..its called parasitic draw. connect dvom to the neg cable..and the other end to the battery and lift of the cable and see how much amps is there..i think is .025 mv though..good luck with it..

your not suppose to do the positive.. your suppose to do the negative..its called parasitic draw. connect dvom to the neg cable..and the other end to the battery and lift of the cable and see how much amps is there..i think is .025 mv though..good luck with it..

Yeah its been a long time since I have had to do that. Couldnt remember if it was POS or NEG.