dashboard short

Ron Coleman

I have a short in the dashboard around the glove box area..I noticed the volts going down to 11,2 just flipping thru the scanmaster. I replaced the alternator and battery and still no difference:mad:...but here is where i think the problem is..i had the glove box open i closed it and the volts returned to 13.7. i took it for a ride and a couple of miles of driving it happened again so i started to hit the dashboard around the glove box area and volts went back up:confused:

disconected:

trunk release button
glove box light
antenna connection in the engine bay

still there, can't pinpoint it....

any help would be gratefull

The alternator light in the dash is the cause of your issues.
A bad electrical connection. Common problem

You need to loosen, then re-seat your speedometer case up against the male plug located behind the case to improve the connection. With the key on, maneuver, jiggle, push, the case, until the volt light goes on, and then tighten up the retaining screws, being sure the volt light remains on.

If and when you do open the speedometer case, use an eraser from a pencil to clean any oxidation buildup on both contacts, then resemble.

One of the biggest - by far - problems I am seeing regarding dash clusters is related to the lamp sockets. Corrosion has set in and the socket contact to the lamp wires is failing in a big way.

The light bulbs used have a wire loop contact on each side of the bulb. To make the connection, the twist-lock socket has brass terminals which clamp around the wire loops in the bulb.

When the brass contacts the steel wire loop and electrical current passes through, galvanic corrosion begins. Eventually, the corrosion separates the metals, causing a defective electrical connection.

I have repaired hundreds of dash clusters and have found the problems described above in almost every dash. How do you prevent it? You can't. It's not supposed to last 25 years (planned obsolescence). How do you repair it? Pull each socket off the dash, and hit the external contacts with a pencil eraser (the contacts mated to the flex PC board). Then use that same eraser on the bare copper flex board contacts, both at the lamp location and at the connector bulkhead location.

Once you have the socket out, pull the wedgelock bulb out (while you're at it, clean the bulb - they are dirt magnets for some unknown reason). Upon close examination, you will likely find corrosion on the looped wire contacts of the bulb. You can lightly scrape those loops to remove the corrosion and reveal shiny metal beneath it.

FYI, I RARELY find a burned out bulb - they almost always work once the corrosion is removed. Most of the burned out bulbs I find are the blue colored ones which run hotter (due to the blue coating).

Now look at the internal contacts in the socket. These are more difficult to repair, but it can be done. Reaching inside with a hobbyist knife, scrape the contact area on both sides - even though you will only connect on one side - and repeat it for both contacts (don't be afraid to get Medieval on it - the corrosion goes deep). Squeeze the contact sides together using a small screwdriver, to provide a tighter contact to the bulb loops.

Don't skip this one: Using a 9 volt battery and paper clips, rig a connection between the battery terminals and the light bulb to determine that the bulb is good. Then put the bulb into the socket and repeat the test on the socket contacts. If it lights, you're good to go. If it doesn't, remove the bulb and carefully bend the wire loops around to the opposite side of the glass wedge. Try it again until it works.

If all the above fails, replace the bulb and twist-lock socket. Chances are real good that this procedure will work for you. Do it to all the bulbs in the cluster.

For more elaborate reading, click here.

One of the biggest - by far - problems I am seeing regarding dash clusters is related to the lamp sockets. Corrosion has set in and the socket contact to the lamp wires is failing in a big way.

The light bulbs used have a wire loop contact on each side of the bulb. To make the connection, the twist-lock socket has brass terminals which clamp around the wire loops in the bulb.

When the brass contacts the steel wire loop and electrical current passes through, galvanic corrosion begins. Eventually, the corrosion separates the metals, causing a defective electrical connection.

I have repaired hundreds of dash clusters and have found the problems described above in almost every dash. How do you prevent it? You can't. It's not supposed to last 25 years (planned obsolescence). How do you repair it? Pull each socket off the dash, and hit the external contacts with a pencil eraser (the contacts mated to the flex PC board). Then use that same eraser on the bare copper flex board contacts, both at the lamp location and at the connector bulkhead location.

Once you have the socket out, pull the wedgelock bulb out (while you're at it, clean the bulb - they are dirt magnets for some unknown reason). Upon close examination, you will likely find corrosion on the looped wire contacts of the bulb. You can lightly scrape those loops to remove the corrosion and reveal shiny metal beneath it.

FYI, I RARELY find a burned out bulb - they almost always work once the corrosion is removed. Most of the burned out bulbs I find are the blue colored ones which run hotter (due to the blue coating).

Now look at the internal contacts in the socket. These are more difficult to repair, but it can be done. Reaching inside with a hobbyist knife, scrape the contact area on both sides - even though you will only connect on one side - and repeat it for both contacts (don't be afraid to get Medieval on it - the corrosion goes deep). Squeeze the contact sides together using a small screwdriver, to provide a tighter contact to the bulb loops.

Don't skip this one: Using a 9 volt battery and paper clips, rig a connection between the battery terminals and the light bulb to determine that the bulb is good. Then put the bulb into the socket and repeat the test on the socket contacts. If it lights, you're good to go. If it doesn't, remove the bulb and carefully bend the wire loops around to the opposite side of the glass wedge. Try it again until it works.

If all the above fails, replace the bulb and twist-lock socket. Chances are real good that this procedure will work for you. Do it to all the bulbs in the cluster.

For more elaborate reading, click here.

Thanks John, for the great info! :cool:

Short Gone!

Sorry i didn't get back sooner,,,it worked great no problems ....thanks for all the help guys...i hope this helps someone else also....great board ...thank god for this place :)