Danno

Danno

Hi, my name is Dan (or Danno, whatever you prefer). I recently got a 87 Buick Regal (non turbo) and have it sitting in storage for the winter. It needs some work done to it (shocks, brakes, front clip is cracked, etc.) and I plan to swap the engine out for a more powerfull one.

Although this site is called 'turbo buick', I decided to register as it seems to be a wealth of information for buicks and hopefully I can learn a few things and be an active member of the community.

Anyways, enough about me, I'm going to check out the forums some more and see if I can find some interesting info.

-Danno

Welcome!

I would guess that if you took a vote on this board, you would be overwhelmingly encouraged to convert your Regal to an '86/'87 intercooled tubo 3.8 setup. :biggrin:

However, they guys on this board....www.v8buick.com...would probably suggest a built 455. :biggrin:

Either way, it would be a fun project!!

Rob

I'm in the middle right now. :p Trying to work out the end cost and all. My first priority is fixing the brakes and shocks and whatever else I find that it needs to pass a safety.

My buddy has a 350 with a 4 bolt main and a fresh rebuild that may be a good candidate for this car. I've gotten a stiffy seeing regals with a big block sitting under there. The amount of power you can get from a turbo is retarded!

I think I have a little bit of time to think though. :p Doing some research before I jump on anything too soon. :)

if your pockets are deep enough, you *could* make *everybody* happy and build a turbo'd 455!! :eek:

(saw a chance to play devil's advocate) :biggrin:

Oh, and sinse I forgot, an intro thread just wouldn't be an intro thread without pictures. :)

2pzbb4n.jpg

6j0k5g.jpg

2mgoxn5.jpg

2yo8sgp.jpg

I've got a list of parts I would like to buy but it's in storage till spring (if not summer). Gotta do my basic for apprenticship so I need to save some cash for when I'm in school not making money.

Any suggestions on a turbo v8? What block would be best? clearance issues I would have? Amount of boost I should expect to run? How strong the rear end is?

Been looking around and theres some great threads for doing swaps, gonna look into them more. :) Also if anyone has a good source for body parts, let me know (as you can see bumper filler is cracked. Can you get them cheaper than 150$?)

:confused:

ummmmm.....ok.....someone who is more familiar with the "T" cars should chime in, but is that an original "T" package?? (wheels, blackout trim, "T" badges, etc.?)

I would guess someone either did a turbo T clone and missed the hood *or* that's a V8 Regal "with T package" I've read about elsewhere on this board. If it's a V8 with the T package then I *think* it's pretty rare as-is. :confused:

I dunno. Anybody else have any comments on those pictures??

Nice looking car BTW! :cool:

Well heres the story. I'm pretty young and havn't really had a car I wanted to toy around with. It always came down to money, insurance, etc. A friend of mine mentioned his buddy is looking for a new car so he is probably getting rid of his regal. Now, I've seen this car many times before, infact I helped put a new gas tank in last year so I knew what condition the car was in. I told him to give me a call when he sells it and I'll buy it.

Now, I payed $300 for the car (which really surprised me). My friend was telling me it was a t-type but I did some research because i didn't think you could get a non-turbo t-type. As far as I know it doesn't exist.

So, I didn't really care because of the price and I planned to swap out the engine sinse the beginning. I'm not sure if buddy who owned it before me owned it sinse new or not. But it is a 6 in it (not an 8). I assume someone just got the t-type rims. steering wheel, etc for it.

I checked a few sites to see if I could tell by the vin and as far as I can tell, it is not a t-type but a partial clone.

And thanks, hopefully I can get started working on it this summer. :)

Well heres the story. I'm pretty young and havn't really had a car I wanted to toy around with. It always came down to money, insurance, etc. A friend of mine mentioned his buddy is looking for a new car so he is probably getting rid of his regal. Now, I've seen this car many times before, infact I helped put a new gas tank in last year so I knew what condition the car was in. I told him to give me a call when he sells it and I'll buy it.

Now, I payed $300 for the car (which really surprised me). My friend was telling me it was a t-type but I did some research because i didn't think you could get a non-turbo t-type. As far as I know it doesn't exist.

So, I didn't really care because of the price and I planned to swap out the engine sinse the beginning. I'm not sure if buddy who owned it before me owned it sinse new or not. But it is a 6 in it (not an 8). I assume someone just got the t-type rims. steering wheel, etc for it.

I checked a few sites to see if I could tell by the vin and as far as I can tell, it is not a t-type but a partial clone.

And thanks, hopefully I can get started working on it this summer. :)

ONLY $300?????!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Dude, you STOLE that car!!!! :biggrin:

The sheetmetal alone is worth more than that!!!! NO kidding!! The "T" package parts alone (trim, wheels, etc.) are probably worth at least that!
Wow.

As far as weather or not it's a "T-type", here's what I've read on this board and other turbo Buick boards....

Based on the fender badges, it would be an '87 since '86 and older badges actually said "T-Type". And yes, it *is* my understanding Buick actually *did* offer a "T package" on the V8 Regal, but it was just a cosmetic package consisting of the wheels, blackout trim and badges. On a turbocharged V6 Regal it was referred to as a "Turbo T" in 1987. On the very few V8 cars that were ordered with the same trim and badging, it was referred to as a "Regal with T package" or somthing like that. I don't remember any of the option codes, but I know there are a bunch of guys on this board that know all that stuff backwards and forwards. I'm really surprised no one has posted a comment yet. Someone on here knows what code you need to look for on the trunk tag.

From the looks of it, I'm thinking you might actually have a factory "T package" V8 car. I don't believe they are as sought after as the turbo Regals, but pretty rare and still waaaay cool! :biggrin: And either way, I'd say you got a SMOKIN' deal on it! It's getting hard to find a beater rust-bucket G-body for only $300 these days. :rolleyes:

I think I have one of Kirban's books that mentions the V8 Regals with the T package. I'll look for it and see what I can find.....

Rob

I knew the guy selling it through my buddy and he needed it gone ASAP as it was sitting on the road with no tags on (in the winter).

According to the VIN (8th digit) being an A, it is a 3.8L 231 V6 2BBL car. Not a v8. Also option level (5th digit) is J which I'm assuming is a base regal.

I need to get a receipt from him anyways so I will ask him a bit more of the history next time I talk to him.

If anyone else has any information that may be helpful then please, let me know. I'm not a regal guru to any degree but I think it is important to know your car.

Still has the factory jack and spare in the back. I pulled up the carpet in the trunk and it doesn't look rotten at all. It has a thick coating of oil underneath which has kept the car in very good shape. I havn't seen it on the hoist in awhile but I will hopefully check it out more in the spring.

Regal

I Thinked You Got Ripped Off! And I Am Going To Bail You Out Of That Car! Just P.m. Me And Tell Me Where To Pick It Up ;)