Dampner bolt removal recommendations

84sithlord

I'm trying to remove my dampner but everytime I try, the crankshaft spins. I've tried wedging a crowbar and have someone else break the bolt loose. do i need to put pb blaster on it and let it sit a bit....my Chilton's manual isn't helping much this time. thank you.

200 ft pounds...gotta get serious about holding the flywheel, a flywheel holding tool wedged against the ground works.

I want to make sure i'm understanding correctly. in order to break the crankshaft pulley retainer bolt loose (Chilton's is calling it that), I need to secure the flywheel?

It's the easiest place to hold the crankshaft from turning...I assumed that is where you were putting the crowbar.

that is correct. I did get it removed n replaced thanks to everyone's help. at first, I fed crowbar through one of the triangle looking holes on the balancer and wedged it against the frame. that wasn't working so I took Slow91z's advice and wedged a piece of rebar (crowbar wasn't cutting it) on the flywheel and my driveway. it was quit the adventure. I had to extract 5 sheered off bolts out of the balancer...not fun. lol. now the balancer has a shiny new coat of paint on it and it back on the ole buick. thanks again!

put a wrench on the nut, put a bar on the wrench that is long enough to lay against frame or pavement ...bump the starter

Paul, this is so funny to me..... Many years ago( like around 1984/5) I was a 18 yo tech for a Chrysler dealer. Guy comes in and ask this same question. No tools bla bla and gave him the same answer you just gave. I also reminded him to make sure the breaker bar was braced the right way.......:D You see where this is going.......yep 2 days later he came back in with a cast on his arm.:eek:
O and he did get the bolt out that way after he got back from the hospital.

my guess here , just a guess .......he was trying to remove the balancer bolt from the crank..again just guessing

how's this for a guess: no shit...
but i asked what he was using to keep the crank from turning while he removed the bolt.