Damn LS1's ;)

TommyV8

I took my dad's GN to a get-together at a local park and there was a guy there with a Camaro exactly like mine except that he had chrome wheels. As luck would have it, we both left at the same time and took the same route. When we got to a main artery with clear traffic we went at it, but every time the GN would go full boost (21 psi) it would stumble and shut down. Needless to say I got walked pretty bad. On the highway on the way home I realized I had somehow flipped the cruise control switch on. :eek: When I turned it off the problem was solved. I wonder what woulda happened if I wasn't a dumbass. This ever happen to anyone else?

what kind of gas where u running and what was done to your dads GN mod wise?

The only mods are an adjustable wastegate and a conical open-air element K&N filter. I know he mixes 105 octane in with the 93 (because of the boost) but I'm not sure how much. Even after I switched off the cruise it kinda stumbles a little bit. But when it is running smooth it's pretty strong.

Yeah there is a problem with the GN but even with the 21 psi with those being his only mod, i still see the ls1 pullin away slightly at the topend if the race is from a roll, but who knows. :cool:

Originally posted by TommyV8
On the highway on the way home I realized I had somehow flipped the cruise control switch on. :eek: When I turned it off the problem was solved.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what the heck does cruise control have to with the car stumbling? I'm not sure if I ever turn mine off. It is always on. I guess I'm lazy that way. Any way, it sounds like the coil pack is going/gone south. Just my 2¢.

Ryan

Something does not sound right to me. Cruise control should not prevent the car from accelerating normally. Check the scanmaster, knock gauge to be sure everything is running as it should.

A stock LS1 is no match for dad's GN if it is dialed in and wearing sticky tires. I have not seen any stock LS1's break 13 seconds although some will say they have. My T/A only ran a best of 13.4, not bad, but my TTA was quicker with the tuning mods. The point is the GN will get you pretty deep into the 12's on the stock turbo/IC.

Get it straightened out and settle it at the track. Take it easy on the street.

I thought it was weird too but to make sure I kept turning the cruise on and off and spooling up the turbo on both settings. With the cruise off it would hold full boost but if it was on it would sputter really bad and the boost would nosedive. I really don't think it's running right, though. Anyway, thanks for the input, I'll have him check the coil packs and get it scanned.
BTW, my car ran 13.52 @ 105 stock, not much faster than a stock TB.