Dakota Digital VHX install thread

Brandon706

I just got my new dash in from dakota digital, I thought it would be a good to provide some pics and info for other turbo buick owners that are thinking of upgrading there cluster. I decided to go with the carbon fiber with blue lighting, it will go along great with my blue Prosport gauges on the a-pilar. I will be providing pics along the way

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    720.9 KB · Views: 732
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    661.8 KB · Views: 851
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 671
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    757.8 KB · Views: 641
Just finished that exact same one in another car. Fun job. Make sure to get the tach adapter. Dakota doesn't include it in their kit. Why I have no idea. They know that the GN's need it. But u have to ask for it. Did you get the kit with the separate BIM module?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Just finished that exact same one in another car. Fun job. Make sure to get the tach adapter. Dakota doesn't include it in their kit. Why I have no idea. They know that the GN's need it. But u have to ask for it. Did you get the kit with the separate BIM module?

What do you mean by tach adapter? I was planning on using the white signal wire from the led tach. How did you hook up the speedometer and last what is the separate BIM module? thanks

What do you mean by tach adapter? I was planning on using the white signal wire from the led tach. How did you hook up the speedometer and last what is the separate BIM module? thanks

The tach will not read correctly due to the signal being low voltage. Caspers makes a harness for this when people use aftermarket tachs. We called Dakota once we noticed this issue. One would think that they would have incorporated in their setup, especially for that kind of money. They let us know that they were aware of the issue and I had to buy a $25 adapter to wire in so that it would read properly. Would have been nice to know in advance before having to pull the dash back apart to wire it in.

The BIM module allows you to add sensors to the digital display. We wired in boost and fuel pressure. Not that the boost is of any real use at WOT. To small to read. More of a perk.

When mine was being put in we found this problem... I called Dakota and said WTF.... The said some need them and some don't. We need more $$$. I call BS.. All of them (TR's) need this part as far as I know. It should be included in a dash that costs over 1000$... Once the part arrived (2 weeks) It was installed and corrected the issue.

Ordered mine from Gbodyparts parts. Had the tach adapter with it and was cheaper than direct from DD.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1389697545.057110.jpg

I'm considering doing the VHX style I keep from cutting up my bezel with the other kits out there. How did you wire in the VSS? Should I purchase caspers adapter to make it easier or keep from cutting the factory harness?

I'm considering doing the VHX style I keep from cutting up my bezel with the other kits out there. How did you wire in the VSS? Should I purchase caspers adapter to make it easier or keep from cutting the factory harness?
I just spliced into the wires and left the harness attached. Getting the caspers harness will help because there is very little slack to work with.

To the OP:
How did the VHX gauges look with the blue Prosport gauges?
Good match?