Da@#it again

josh watson

Car still won't start...........car turns over...I can occasionally start it but as soon as I turn it off it won't start again.... When using noid light I have no injector pulse AND no fire. The battery is new. All lights and everything else works.

Computer? all I can think of.

the fuel pump works though.

thanks
JW

It sounds to me like a cam sensor problem.. Check it, I'm almost willing to bet. Sometimes it gives it enough signal to start, but after it starts it doesn't need it to run. Verify to make sure it is working.

,Dan

Josh,
After thinking about it for a few days, try checking the wiring harness that plugs into the ignition module. I remember the car doing the same thing to me when I first got it. I wiggled the ignition module connector and it fired right up. When I got home with it, I installed the Type II module and coil and it never did it again. I wonder if the connector was the problem and not the module that I replaced? It may have a broken wire in the connector???
Good Luck!

thanks

for the input guys. The only issue with the connector theory is that the injectors aren't firing as well. I also don't think it's the cam sensor because the original problem was that the car died on the on ramp to the freeway and left me stranded. I replaced the crank sensor already. It's possible that two problems have occured at once but I wouldn't think it likely.

also, I was just looking at the chip in the computer....an ADS or AOS superchip....I recall hearing that they are no longer in business....the numbers on the back are 8614 A....anyone have an idea on how I can get info on this chip?

Kevin: It looks like we both need to update our profiles huh.....though I think you're still on track for 11's ;)

Hi,
Well, I guess ign. module connector problems could cause this. Frankly, just about any situation involving spark and fuel could be the culprit. I pretty much know that the cam sensor CAN'T cause this, because you apparently have no spark, as well. The ECM is out, because I believe you would have spark regardless. Sooo, as Sherlock Holmes says, what ever remains, must be the truth. Good luck with your issue!

Injectors Aren't Firing

INJECTORS AREN'T FIRING.

After looking at the computer diagram the only point where the ignition module AND the injector harness are connected is the computer.

any input on this?

I believe if it was the ignition module/connector/wires/etc. that the injectors would still fire using a noid light.....not only did I not get flash...I didn't even get a solid light...I have no power to my injector harness. (unless of course the car happens to be running.......as happens every third or fourth time I unhook the battery and re hook everything up....it runs fine...until I turn it off ...then no power...to ignition or plugs)

Cam sensor triggers injectors. Crank sensor triggers spark. Check the following:

cam sensor
injector harness
CCCI fuse
ECM harness is seated, with no corroded pins.

HTH

all

all of the above appears ok...with exception to the cam sensor.. It wouldn't explain why it died while I was driving it but I'm willing to check anything.

can anyone tell me how to test my cam sensor? I do already have a spare...from a junk yard I believe so it's a bit of a gamble on it as well. The guy I bought the car from saw fit to supply me with some spare parts (thanks kevin :)
thanks for the help

jw

Josh,

It could very well be the ECM on your car. The corroded pin idea is a thought.

I finally ran the Limited again last night. It ran pretty well, considering the tune. I haven't installed the XFI or the Alky yet either. I was running on a 600' track, but my best was a 7.49 with a 1.74 sixty foot (approx, 7.89 for a true 1/8 mile). I only made three passes and all three were around 18 lbs boost, on pump gas. It was only at 9 lbs at the launch on the best pass, so there's more to be had. My conversion table tells me that would put me in the 12.38-12.40 range through the quarter. I'll let you know when I get to run it again.

Kevin

Pull the top off the cam sensor, and check that the reluctor ring is tight- mine came loose, and made the car run intermittently. If it's loose, tighten it and then see if the car starts and runs.

If there's a lot of miles on the car, it's not a bad idea to pull and replace the sensor.

Ground wires on the back of the pass side head shold be checked, also.