Cutting iron stair railings

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Anyone ever try cutting cast iron stair railings with a sawzall? Just wondering if there are any special blades you can use as the ones I have tried do nothing. Have some gaudy railings on my front steps that I want to cut all the floral crap off of. Also had an awning over the stairs that I took down and have these ugly posts that held it up to get rid of too. Is there anyway of cutting them or do I need a welder to come to the house with a torch?

Get a reciprocating saw. Might have to rent one. It'll cut it like butter! I think they might be the same tool (sawzall/reciprocating). In that case you'll need a blade change. The hardware store has blades that'll work great.

Tried some 14 and 18 teeth blades and no go! Trying to cut the welds that hold the ornamental flower patterns to the rails and a sawzall and recip saw are one and the same.

get a good hand grinder, and some zip cut wheels.
makes alot of sparks but will cut it the quickest,

How about a pneumatic cut off tool. It would be small and manuverable.

Mark,

I had to do the same thing @ my job. Forget the Sawzall, Went thru about 20 blades on on side:eek: . Got the other campuses torches & was done in 10 mins...

I didn't try the cut off wheel, but if you can get torches do it.
Jim