Custom shifter, help?

87GNattyKid

Hey guys, i was just curious if anyone has replaced the shifter knob on their turbo regals without taking out the stock bar? Has anyone found a reliable shifter knob that works well with the stock setup, or would i have to change out the whole thing if i want a nicer looking shifter? thanks.

or is there a way i can mount a universal shifter knob to the pole without screws (which scratches it up and doesnt really hold well...?

The Buick shaft is cut 90* out from other G-body shafts i.e. 9 o'clock-3 o'clock vs. 12 o'clock-6 o'clock. meaning you can't replace shifter handles w/ other GM units.
I fabbed up a shortened shaft & recut the groove at a 12-6 & put on a Pontiac handle w/ finger grooves.
Best bet is to find a Cutlass or Grand Prix Shaft (I'm not sure which one is slotted differently than ours, but that's what you want) One of the vendors sells a shortened shaft, you may be able to contact them and see if the can cut the grooves or sell you one w/o them.
Replacing the shaft is quite straight forward, however
HTH

D :)

The Jeg's probably won't work, if you remove your handle you will see the inner shaft which is spring loaded, this pushes the "J" bar to allow gear selection, You will also note the slots cut into the outer shaft which align the handle and the smaller groove cut around circumference; this is where the "U" shaped handle retaining clip slides in to hold the handle on at the correct height,As referenced before, other GM handle's alignment tabs are 90* out of synch w/ the Buick's.
I tried to cut additional grooves in my shaft in order to use either Buick or other GM handles but it weakened the shaft too much. Other than the slot alignment , other 200r-4 floor shifter shafts should be the interchangeable.
Perhaps someone else can chime in to verify?

is there any modding i could do to the knob to get it to work? i love the pistol grip knobs but cant find anything thatll seem to work