Cryogenic Processing 109 Block & Stuff

Spooling

Folks:

Got access to a "Cryogenic Tempering" treatment locally here, and wanted to ask experienced members if they have any feedback concerning pros/cons with relation to this treatment that I am considering having done to the following items:
----------------------------
109 Block + Stock Main Caps
2-Dot Connecting Rods
Turbo Crankshaft w/ Rolled Fillets
-----------------------------
Interested in having this done to the above items prior to machining.

I heard that cryo processing of a rolled fillet crankshaft is not recommended, as it could make the crankshaft weaker.

I also heard that cryo treatment should be performed after machining - due to it being more difficult to machine the block (boring, line honing, decking, re-sizing connecting rods).

I plan to discarding the OEM hardware in favor of the ARP stuff to be used in conjunction with the machining process.

I am thinking trying this in place of steel caps.

Just interested in +'s and -'s (if any) with relation to this process.

Feedback please?

TIA.

Edward

I do it to all my cranks, pistons, rods, cams & rings but never done a block. Dont do lifters, bearings or pushrods. Ask Tim KWIKR1 about it. He knows a lot about the process & does all his parts. I do it before machine work but it doesnt matter before or after. The circle track guys even do plugs!! Sounds extreme to me but I'm no pro with deep pockets!! They also do all the rear end gears etc.

not a Cryo guru , I just did alot of research on the topic . and what really sold me on it was I went to talk to the owner the Cryo shop that I decided to do my work . and sitting on 4 pallets were Honda engine blocks , heads , cranks ,etc . I asked were they were from . Found out they were from the Factory Honda Racing Team awaiting to be Cryo Treated . so seeing that, I figured if it's ok with the Honda Racing Team it's ok for me :). It's also use alot for Military applications as well . Cryo Treating does not actually "structural strengthen" anything . it is a de-stressing process .in the casting or forging process stresses are created . Cryo treating realigns the "molecular makeup" of a given metal and casting process releasing internal stresses . resulting in better wear/durability capabilities as well. Cryo Treating is not a new fad , it's been around for many many years . It's just recently being use in the motorsports in last few years .

I also work for a company with one of the largest truck fleets in Canada . 3 years ago they were having a problems with premature front rotor wear on their Ford Step Vans . They started Cryo Treating their rotors and found a 30%+ increase in wear capabilities . Great idea IMO for crankshafts , connecting rods , valve springs , pistons, rings , etc .I get pretty good deals on it and I basicly do everything but the block . I'm a firm believer in it , and the cost is very good . Cryo Treating is not supposed to change anything dimensionally , but ALWAYS check everything and use a shop who has alot of experience in the process with automotive parts .

NW Cryogenics Offering Cryogenic Processing services to enhance the performance and extend the life of a wide variety of items and materials.

300 Below - Cryogenic processing, cryogenic treatment, deep cryogenic tempering and more.

:: Cryogenic Treatment History and Overview ::

The Resource for Cryogenics l Cryo News l Equipment l Jobs l Publications l Seminars - Cryogenic Society of America