Cruise control problem

kjhansen

Since I put in my Precision Vigilante 2800rpm stall torque converter, my cruise control has been weird, although I don't know if it's related to the TC swap. When you engage cruise it surges up and down, like it was engaging and disengaging. Oddly enough it also turns itself off if you signal for a left turn (like for a lane change). Any thoughts?
Keith

might want to...

ck for a vacuum leak somewhere in the vac. circuit. the vac release valve is above the brake pedal just above the brake switch. There is also a check valve in line to suppply the vac. to the tank and the cruise control servo, which has a vent that can get stopped up. Hope this helps w/the troubleshooting.:confused:

To me, it sounds like the wires in your turn signal stalk could be starting to wear/break either internally, or at the steering column where the wires meet up. Without completely taking the stalk and steering column apart and checking out all the wiring, it's gonna be very hard to track down the exact gremlin. If it were me, I would swap out the turn signal stalk. But I do agree with what SHADOWII said above.
HTH

Patrick

Does the cruise engage and disengage randomly along with the TCC? If its just TCC than I would look at the stop light switch. Here's a little test you can try first. When the TCC starts wandering take your foot and pull the brake pedal up towards you. If the TCC engages than its the stop light switch. If the cruise is acting up at the same time I would look at the cruise lever and switch. I dont have a clue why it disengages on a left turn unless the wire is pinched somewhere.

Thanks for the suggestions. Should keep me busy for a while! To refine the problem a little, it's the cruise that cuts in and out, not the TCC. The TCC stays locked when it's supposed to and I have "the switch" to force lockup in any case. It's just the CC that surges.
Keith

Cable/ actuator binding/ vac leak. Bad wiring in turn stalk/ inside column wiring for other problem.

Mine was acting really weird-- when pressing the engage button, it set & just kept accelerating---turn column switch off & still accelerating--not disengaging until I hit brake (first two times it happenned I think I pi$$ed myself & was reaching for key & looking for escape area). Shortly after, the cruise light would come on when pushing engagement btn, but nothing happened. Shortly after, even the light would not come on when pressing engagement btn. Replaced CC module under dash--but no help.

Believe my problem must be in the stalk/ strg column wiring. Got a new stalk about a year ago--but have not attempted to replace yet (suspected probable skill deficiency).

GOOD LUCK & I'm just trying to ALERT you that even weirder/worse things can happen if you have a stalk/column wiring problem. That part of your CC problem will not likely go away...

The stop light switch trick works for the CC too. At least if the trick doesn't solve the problem than you can eliminate the stop lamp switch as the cause anyway. If the cruise light stays lit when its on the fritz than its most likely the turn signal stalk. I've had a few cars with the problem and that was always the cause. If the light goes out when its disengaged and the stop lamp switch is good than you'll have to trouble shoot the module or the servo. Double check the vacuum check valve under the hood. The one on the firewall behind the coil pack. If its leaking than the servo is disengaging the CC.