Cruise control lever question...

toofastforyou

2FAST4U
I had the whole cruise control removed from my car except the lever (flasher, dimmer, cruise) on the steering column. Does someone know if I can have that lever replaced with one from a car without cruise?…Will I have to have the steering wheel removed to change the wiring harness inside the column? I saw a few on Ebay but there seems to be some confusion on the part number…is it 22510144 or is it 22510143 ?
Thanks,
Claude.;)

Last edited:
Yes you can replace it with a non cruise control stalk. No modifications are necessary. All you need to do to replace it is give it a good pull and it will come out of the column. There is a wire that runs down to the cruise control module under the dash. Just unplug the connector and pull it through the column. A non cruise control stalk will not have the wire. Just push the new stalk back in place and you should be all set.

Thank you "v6turbo87" for your clear reply. I have one last question: The wire attached to the existing lever, will it pull out easily or is there a chance of it getting caught in the internal mechanism ?…Will I have to have the steering wheel removed and reinstalled? I don't want to break anything because I plan to sell my whole cruise control setup as a complete kit and wouldn't want to break the lever when pulling the wire out. As for the new lever, I know it just pushes in and clicks into place but will it still activate the wipers correctly? (I'm asking this because there won't be any wiring on the new lever).
As for the part number, I called a dealer in my area and he confirmed that I need #22510144 but it sells for $80. ( ! ) and he would have to special order it for me. (I saw some listed on Ebay for around $30.-$40. and aftermarket replacements at $13.50 ) ;)

In had to replace mine many years ago and the wire and a plastic flat conduit came right out with no problems. The only wiring in the stalk is for the cruise control. Eveything else is part of a multifunction switch in the column. BTW-Check the "Help" section of an auto parts store and you may be able to find the correct stalk cheaper.

It's a flat connector, if you start it up the column channel from below it should come out in one piece.

Wipers are a mechanical switch from the stalk turning, cruise is the only thing you need wiring for.

Page from O'Reilly auto parts

Attachments

• 1442253293338.jpg
    1442253293338.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 85
I have one last question…On cars that do not originally have cruise control, is there a plug (or kind of grommet) to plug the hole left in the firewall when removing the wiring harness?…'Cause right now, it leaves a large hole and I'm concerned that water could leak inside the car through it.

Thanks,

Claude.

I have one last question…On cars that do not originally have cruise control, is there a plug (or kind of grommet) to plug the hole left in the firewall when removing the wiring harness?…'Cause right now, it leaves a large hole and I'm concerned that water could leak inside the car through it.

Thanks,

Claude.

Lets be honest, you aren't going to drive that thing in the rain;). Try your local body shop for the grommet, they always have them from junk cars or in an assortment.

Lets be honest, you aren't going to drive that thing in the rain;). Try your local body shop for the grommet, they always have them from junk cars or in an assortment.
Thanks Kevin, but I was hoping that someone would have one from a g-body without cruise …o_O

Claude. ;)

Claude the grommet is easy to find but the turn signal stock on the Buick is different. Most Monte Carlos, Malibu's etc were not the same colour or texture as the Buick. I will look through my stuff this week.

I just replaced my stalk a few weeks ago with an aftermarket stalk. Looks exactly identical. Pulling the old wire out and feeding a new wire back down is an easy task. I do understand that you will not have a wire to reinstall with the deletion of the CC. Here is a link to a You Tube video that demonstrates the process with a piece of wire.

"SSGN", I already bought a non-cruise replacement lever, thanks! …and "Mattthias", thank you for the detailed video…
The only thing left is to find a grommet to plug the hole left by the removal of the harness going through the firewall…I still wonder what did the original non-cruise cars had?...

Claude.

Last edited:
Did you find the correct grommet? I removed the cruise setup from my 455 car and this is the only thing I got left to do.