cross drilled and slotted rotors...

Turbo6Smackdown

I threw some cross drilled and slotted rotors from murrays auto parts (its a big auto chain) with some bosch ceramic pads up front, and in my opinion, it stops like crap now. It dont squeal, but its not as good as stock the way i see it. Anyone have any similar reactions? Are ceramics known for poor breaking, cuz of their 'reduced brake dust' material?

I had terrible results with my set of cross drilled and slotted rotors. It would feel like a serious grinding feeling when the brakes got hot. Kinda like the pads were digging into the pads. It bugged me so much that I turned the stockers and put those on. I think what happens is most suppliers who drill and slot rotors use cheap quality rotors. They were not meant to be modified in this way and cannot take the abuse. The front rotors are smaller than the ones on my old VW Jetta!

Baer 12"

I am getting mixed reviews on rotors.
Baer 12" are slotted & I am very pleased with them.
Factory Corvette C6 are drilled.
I have heard drilled rotors are prone to crack.

I've experimented with ceramic pads on stock rotors on a '98 Silvarado and my previous '87 GN. The ceramic pads warped the stock rotors on the Silvarado and cracked the stock rotors on the GN. ok, yeah I know...I shouldn't have been braking that hard, but the pedal feel was great - didn't know the rotors were getting that hot :eek: there was no fade.

After I warped the stock rotors on the truck I installed a pair of cross-drilled rotors from Summit Racing. (replacement GM rotors were $350 EACH!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: ) They worked fine, didn't notice any improvement over stock.

After I cracked the stock rotors on the GN, I installed a pair of cross-drilled rotors from Stillen Motorsports. I did notice an improvement there. I was very pleased with that setup.

I'm currently running a pair of slotted rotors (not cross-drilled) from Stainless Steel Brakes. They also seem to be better than stock, but maybe not as good as the cross-drilled from Stillen Motorsports. I think the pads have as much to do with the performance as the rotors. Everytime I've installed aftermarket rotors, I've installed the manufacturer's recomended pads at the same time.

HTH
Rob