crazy idea

tpivette89

after staring at the engine bays of my own 85' GN, and my buddies 87' engine bay side by side, i got an idea that i would like to try. just wondering if any of you guys have ever done this or even thought about it

anyway, what i would like to do is sorta retrofit the 86/87 turbo & exhaust setup WITHOUT the intercooler onto a hotair. i was thinking you would need:

- 86/87 pass header
- 86/87 oil feed and return lines
- 86/87 turbo and actuator
- 86/87 style intake piping
- 86/87 downpipe
- custom turbo to intake pipe

there seem 2 be many advantages to this setup: 1) use of any 86/87 turbo is now a direct bolton, no fabbing anything 2) use of the larger and more readily availible 86/87 downpipes 3) eliminating the leak prone hotair "uppipe"

would there be any other modifications to make a project like this work? my A/C and heater have been deleted and i have TONS of room on the passenger side. it looks like everything mentioned above would fit, even with the Vbelt setup

comments?

EDIT: crap, i totally forgot about the TB and its placement. hmmm, loks as though id have to come up w something custom, or swap over to an 86/87 intake. oh well, i THOUGHT it would be a good idea. still like to try it though

Yes, while it may be a "crazy idea"...there is one thing I can think of off the top of my head...

The hot-air block and the intercooled block are different in a few ways, one being the hole in the front on the intercooled block for the turbo drain. it doesn't exsist on the our block. Now yes, you could I guess tap some sort of hole in the oil pan and go that way, but that would be one hurdle you'd hafta overcome. As far as the heater-a/c box, I don't see any trouble as those are the same on all of our cars...

You could do this....but....why?

I understand that now you could just bolt on an 86/87 turbo easier, but guy's have already done that in the stock configuration, with no REAL benefits. You'd be better off going w/ a TA-33C from John Craig, if your gonna spend any money. As far as the downpipes go, I think Mease (it may not be Mease, but I know I've seen someone who makes a 3" DP...just can't quite remember) has a 3" downpipe already, and I don't understand why you'd need to go any bigger than that? And lastly, on my '84, the up-pipe from www.jaysgn.com solved my leaking issues...

I don't mean to be an ass, honestly, but there are SOOOO many other things you can do to your car and reap much bigger benefits...

HTH - John ;)

well for one, when you swap turbos on the setup i proposed, you wouldnt have to weld a hotair turbo coupler on every new turbo you install. thats got to get old. not to mention just about every 86/87 upgraded turbo will flow more than a TA33

also, Mease apparently is taking forever to make our downpipes, and is charging a pretty hefty sum for them as well (i could be wrong, but somewhere in the $400 range with a 6 month waiting period). getting a THDP would be cheaper and there would be no waiting for it

also the JaysGN uppipe costs a ridiculous $200! you could almost buy 3 ATR uppipes for that!

damn i didnt know about the oil return hole. that puts another damper on this "project" haha

oh well. i probably wasnt going to actually go through with this (no funding/time), but i thought it would be a cool idea to be able to upgrade/swap turbos easier and have a wider variety of downpipes availible