Crazy Cruise Control!

lardaddy

My cruise control went crazy yesterday. In the morning it worked fine, then in the afternoon it crapped out. when i set it it does not engage, slows down 10 or 15 mph , then floors it to get back to speed then no throttle, then floored and so on and so on, going from no throttle to full throttle over and over again. help me please. thanks a million!!!

check the vaccume lines and make sure the checkvalve going to the cruise is installed in the correct direction and working properly.

I have had this happen to me twice over the years and both times it turned out to be the switch on the steering column. There are four wires that run thru the steering column to a small connector and the constant flexing causes the wires to break, both times, at the bend between the column and the switch itself.

Try wiggling the switch wiring around and see if the cruise light goes on or off.

The stalk just pulls out of the column and the wire harness needs to be fished down the column. There is a small connector on the end.

One more thing that can cause similar problems is the VSS buffer. If you have direct scan or can borrow one, check the speed and see if it is jumping all over the place.

SM & speedometer on the car will appear to be working correctly, but on DS, in one fram it will show 50mph, then next frame 150mph, then 2-5 frames later 30.

Gary BTDT

while we are talking cruise controls, my "cruise" light on the dash does not come on when set. The bulb is good and the stalk is new, what else can I check? I really need a wiring diagram to trace it down what turns it on. any help would be greatly appreciated, I hate for bulbs to be out or not work....my pet peave:confused: