Cranks

Was wondering if there is a casting number on the cranks if there is what is the casting number for a turbo crank

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The casting # is the same as the non-turbo crankshaft. The # won't help you in itself.

Neal

Ah so dose that mean a stock n/a crank will hold up the same as a turbo crank?

Ah so dose that mean a stock n/a crank will hold up the same as a turbo crank?

No. The "Turbo" crank has rolled fillets on the mains and rods. This is an additional machining operation which compresses the material in the fillet radius and increases fatigue resistance. The longevity of the turbo crank is much greater than a N/A crank. There are several casting #'s including 229, 877 and another early one I don't recall which takes a smaller dia. bolt on the snout.

Here's a link to a pics of a rolled fillet crank so you can see the difference.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/cranks/crankguide.html

Neal

Oh ok thanks for the link so with that being said if I'm not pumping huge amount of power from it will a n/a crank be alright to use?

There's a lot of people going pretty fast with a N/A crank. Personally I don't know how much strength the rolled fillet adds as I've never put one in a press and wailed on it. It looks like a stress riser to me.

There's also the issue with an apples to apples comparison... Which is stronger?... a 'turbo' crank that's been beat on and detonated for 200,000 miles or a N/A crank that's never made more than 110HP and has 20,000 miles?

True enough this is my 1st build and it will be a budget build seeing how this 109 only has 66,000 km on it maybe ill just use the n/a crank I'm not planing on pushing huge amounts of power with it. Thanks for your help with this

Well I am hoping for a little more then what's in my gn right now but I'm sure ill keep wanting more that seems to be the way it goes... But I really don't want to join that group of people that have ran there cranks over lol

The speed and power is addicting as hell. Good luck with the build.

Thanks for the well well wishes and ill apologise in advance for the questions I'm sure ill have in the future as I get further into this. this will be my 1st build.

I think the problem lies in the fact that everyone wants more performance. It's a little like using nitrous, people want to keep jetting it up until they reach the point where the engine can no longer withstand the additional H.P. To me it makes sense to keep your goals realistic but not scrimp on what's in your engine. I'm not advocating the fact that everyone needs a forged crank, girdle, roller cam etc. but it doesn't makes sense to downgrade the crankshaft from what comes standard in the turbo application. GM opted to put a rolled fillet crank in the motor for good reason. People far smarter than you and I decided it was necessary. A good used crank isn't that expensive. Don't short change yourself.

Neal

My only issue with that is turbo buicks and parts are very hard to come by in my area and I'm sure trying to ship a crank will cost me an arm and a leg but if you guys say use a turbo crank ill have to keep my eyes open maybe one will pop up around here thanks guys

My only issue with that is turbo buicks and parts are very hard to come by in my area and I'm sure trying to ship a crank will cost me an arm and a leg but if you guys say use a turbo crank ill have to keep my eyes open maybe one will pop up around here thanks guys
Where exactly is "here"? I've got 3 turbo cranks sitting right now and 2 of them will either need a polish or to be cut .010.;)