Crankcase ventilation???

Lunkan

Crazy? Me? :-P
I got a tip earlier about plugging the vent in the intake (the one that goes to the vacuumblock) and instead route the one in the valvecover (that used to go to the turbo) to the vacuumblock.

We´re not alloved to have a breather on the VC so that would be routed to a canister (1/2L PET-can for example).

What do You guys think of that? I never did it as I´m not sure about what would happen, but I´ve never seen that ventilation on another intake.

If it is to get tru the registration, you can put back the oil pipe if you have it left.

They have not complained on the VC breather before right ?
I will do this mod as soon as I get better :)

Daniel

No, it´s not because of the inspections. It´s not allowed at the tracks either (if they are serious).

Oh, good to learn something new.
Another unnecesary modification for me...

Daniel

It´s just safety precausion. I don´t know how they reacted about Melvin´s car, but they sure should have checked the track for oil. That´s why it´s not allowed.

Ah you mean when you blow a HG the oil sipper out of the breather ?

But under normal conditions, when the engine works ok... the oil will not leak right ?

Daniel

do you mean the pcv valve? If so I used a 15/16 freeze plug and tapped it in with a 3/8 socket extension and hammer. Once flush I used JB weld to seal it completely, doesn't leak and cleans up alot.

So far the a/c is gone, the egr is gone, the pcv is gone, the IC is gone. The battery will makes it's way to the spare tire cubby hole and the fmic will go on..

Yes, that´s correct. So this doesn´t hurt these engines?

With all that removed, is this a track only car running on meth? Why else did You remove the IC?

I took PCV off and now run a second drivers side VC with a breather, EGR isn't needed (have 55's and gen 6 DFI sitting, waiting to install), don't drive it much so A/C isn't needed.

All parts are bagged so that if someone or myself wants to restore it, it's available to do so.

The engine bay has lots of room as really cleans up nice, haven't decided if I'll take out the evap system or not....

The IC has 3" in and out, the piping will sit no lower than where the stock Camaro air dam sits.

Attachments

• felpro 002.jpg
    felpro 002.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 237
If you are running no pcv look at your VC air cleaner after a while .. didnt work on street cars up here :eek:

I did this mod today...

Will it be ok like this ? One thing... The oil disapears out in the air with this mod I has been told. Does that mean that you must refill the engine oil then and then ? Can that be good ?

Daniel

Attachments

• kn.jpg
    kn.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 233
Take a pipe plug and cap the smaller one(just one ecxtra to clean). I run two driver's side covers with breathers and no pcv. Gotta clean them once a month but there's no oil in the tb :)

Now if I can just get it back together
:p

anybody using a crankcase evac ?
I have these on my stang. I had a problem with blowing the dipstick out of the tube when i engaged the fogger. and after i installed these, all my problems were fixed.

https://shogunindustries.com/cgi-bi...9102801104&page=products.htm&view_item=E42798

On my buick, i have 2 open breathers. On the passenger side i welded up the hole where the little one was and cut and welded another one of these on the passenger side. So it looks just like the one on the drivers side.
http://www.atrperformance.com/images/HP123BQ.jpg

PCV valve is blocked off.

Thanks for all the info.

The thought was to put the PCV from the smaller one in the VC. And the best thing to do at the track is to put that evac on for safety.

/Andreas

Lunkan get a catch can and run it to it! It's safe, you'll have to monitor your oil level and drain it, but you wont get oil into the TB and the IC.

Biggest problem is boost. You run boost and on normal rings there is always blow by, so you're pressurizing the crank case. Total seal or gapless rings are good, but with only 4 bolts holding the heads on you better watch the boost. it's gonna go 1 way or the other.

I use breathers on both sides and just clean em.........

Got rid of the pcv, got tired of oil in the tb....

However, oil will not go into the intake tract but will blow off the breather and soak your hood liner if you blow a HG. Ask me how I know! 6 quarts all over ATCO's runway :) :)

There seems to be higher risk to blow headgaskets when you put filters in the pcv ?

Daniel

Yes, I know what it looks like with blown HG´s, did July last year. After that the engine is completely rebuilt with copper HG´s, JE-pistons etc etc. The rings are filefit and they are measured for high boost levels.

The catch can is must (at the tracks) if You don´t have closed crankcase ventilation. You´re not allowed to enter if You have breathers on (if they follow the regulations). I understand why as it could take some time to decontaminate after oil leak.

You now know why I like Europe! I wish I could earn/live over there. Govt. seemed so simple while I was there...