Crankcase pressure.

T

Turbomandan

I had my rear main seal changed 4 months ago. It is now leaking again. Whenever the car sits for a couple hours and then I start her. I can smell burning oil and see some smoke come up from behind my engine. Today I took off my oil cap breather and put the stock cap back on. I wanted to spray my engine off with water and did not want water in that filter element. Well after I got done spraying her off. I decided to take it for a ride to dry the engine off. I was at a light and got on it. I saw lots of smoke come from under my car and from the engine compartment. This only happened on the boost. That was then when I realized that the breather was not on. The rear main was squirting oil on the crossover pipe on the boost. I put the breather back on and drove it around. No smoke after that. I was surprised at how that breather let out some of the pressure from the crankcase. My question is should I add another breather in another spot to help with releasing more pressure? What else can be added to release more pressure. I want my rear main to last nore than 4 months. Where can I find another set of valve covers? I would like to have a oil filler hole on the passenger side so I can add a breather.

Thanks,
Dan
TTA

I figured that the rear main was gone. But why would it go after 4 moths and 1500 miles? Would and extra breather help?

do a compression test, sounds like mine except mine was an extreme case, I had a 1" section of a head gasket missing and it blew oil all over everything.

Man that sucks.

I could not find any aftermarket companies that make covers for our heads.Yes putting a brether on the pass side would be beneficial(this is my belief),so the prob is not wanting to cut a hole in your fact valve cover.

And this one I understand.Put a post looking for valve covers.I just located a set and plan on using the drivers side one for the passenger side.

Julio

Were talking turbo trans am not grand national here.

The valve covers are different since the heads are totally different.

Julio

You could also add an in-line check valve to the PCV. Don't get the ones where it is integrated INTO the pcv; lots of people had problems with them. But the type of valve that is separate from the pcv and plumbs into the vacuum line can help stop pressurizing the crankcase.

Not a cure, but may help .....

Originally posted by mark b
You could also add an in-line check valve to the PCV. Don't get the ones where it is integrated INTO the pcv; lots of people had problems with them. But the type of valve that is separate from the pcv and plumbs into the vacuum line can help stop pressurizing the crankcase.

Not a cure, but may help .....

Yes, I also agree with Mark. May not cure your problem, but will not hurt either. And yes, get the one as Mark described above.
Best regards,
Jeff