Crankcase Evac System

GangsterMD

Turbo'd since '95
Hi guys, I've read a lot of posts about the above. Do any vendors actually sell a nice clean system?
Thanks
D

Here is an evac system we developed for the turbo Buick V-6. :biggrin:

It is made to work with a Champion AC delete bracket and is belt driven off the water pump.

The accumulator is hidden under the inner fender, and the pump has a regulator on the inlet fitting.

Has worked flawlessly for 3 years and pulls 10-15" vac. :)

Attachments

• NICK VAC PUMP.jpg
    NICK VAC PUMP.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 518
Here is another view with the most recent upgrades. :)

The pass valve cover has a sealed cap for the oil fill, and there is no dipstick so the pump can properly evacuate the crankcase.

Attachments

• NICK'S ENGINE 0.jpg
    NICK'S ENGINE 0.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 508
That's a really nice set up nick what would something like that run am very interested

I used an air pump from a mid 90's Camaro with a hobbs switch to turn it on at 7psi or so. Simple and better than nothing...:)

Here is an evac system we developed for the turbo Buick V-6. :biggrin:

It is made to work with a Champion AC delete bracket and is belt driven off the water pump.

The accumulator is hidden under the inner fender, and the pump has a regulator on the inlet fitting.

Has worked flawlessly for 3 years and pulls 10-15" vac. :)

Nick are you logging crankcase pressure? If so what are you seeing for vacuum at the finish line?

Yes, I log crankcase vac, and I have it set at 10-12" through a 1/4 mile pass.

The parts for this system runs about $800+.

It reads 10-12" through the entire run, and can regulate it higher if wanted.

The only issue is if it does NOT work, I loose about a .1 sec and 1-2 MPH, and blow oil all over. ;)

Unlike the electric pump it replaced, this has never failed. :biggrin:

It reads 10-12" through the entire run, and can regulate it higher if wanted.

The only issue is if it does NOT work, I loose about a .1 sec and 1-2 MPH, and blow oil all over. ;)

Unlike the electric pump it replaced, this has never failed. :biggrin:

Thats pretty good. The only down side to the vaccum pumps are if you loose a HG. The pressure has no where to go in a sealed system and can blow out the seals putting oil in bad places. What pump are you using?

Issue

I've got a bit of oil tracking down the dipstick when I've been racing. I'd like to stop that obviously. But I'm not prepared to get rid of my a/c - so I think Nick's system is out for me. I'd like to find a nice little electric vacuum pump to run through a separator... Has anyone used anything like this?

nick, just adding to the posts so people can learn.

can this type of setup be used on a street driven car?

I've got a bit of oil tracking down the dipstick when I've been racing. I'd like to stop that obviously. But I'm not prepared to get rid of my a/c - so I think Nick's system is out for me. I'd like to find a nice little electric vacuum pump to run through a separator... Has anyone used anything like this?

Open breathers on both VCs? PCV sucking oil?

I used to have k&n breathers on the valve covers but they were really messy. So I replaced them with chrome breathers that have ports for a hose - to run to an air cleaner I suppose. Inside they just have a bit of foam - and you can blow throught them. I just point them up towards the intake and they're both clean. But like I said it still runs down the dipstick a bit.

Hmmm...I don't get it. Doesn't the pcv only suck under vacuum? Plus doesn't the check valve in line help prevent it? Please explain?