Crank Sensors

HOTSIX

Ran outta hand cleaner
Okay gang.... I did a search (long - whew) of the archives for my solution to the big NO START.

Anyone able to tell me how to properly set the crank sensor ? I got a new one on the motor since I rebuilt it...but havent started it with that one on as yet. I know you have to have it set 0.025 gap between the ring and sensor...but where is the gap referring to ?

There are 2 channels or grooves in the sensor (one large one small). I have the old one here in my hand...and it looks like it has some wear in groove #2......(on the extreme inside of the sensor - opposite the wires end). Does something travel through both grooves ? Does the metal ring travel through the #1 groove or #2 groove ? This may be my NO START problem cure....

I drew a pic by hand and posted it below for all to see.....

Can anyone explain how to set it correctly ? Metal ring goes in which groove ?

Attachments

• cranksens.jpg
    cranksens.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 187
Going off of your drawing...use #2 groove...Rotate the engine over by hand using the crank pulley bolt and a big socket/ratchet...Line up the sensor in the #2 groove(your drawing) with the interrupter ring passing thru it...then just take a matchbook cover/piece of cardboard(like the box that oil filters come in) and slide it in between the interrupter ring and the groove on the outside diameter of the interrupter ring...the sensor will pull itself to the interrupter ring(sensor has a magnet in it)...with the sensor pulled up against the cardboard/interrupter ring, tighten up the sensor bolt and then pull the piece of cardboard out...THEN rotate the motor over by hand a full revolution to make sure that the sensor doesn't touch the interrupter ring anywhere...Also make sure that the ignition key is not on/engine off...

Hope this helps...

You guys are great !

I got the damn thing running thru the #1 groove (my drawing). So that seems to be my problem. I will remove it and correct the problem.