Crank bolt removal

Similar to using a vice grips, I used a C-clamp on the flywheel (on the driver's side) and it worked like a charm. Anything to clamp down on the flywheel and wedge against the block or transmission would work. Of course, be careful stay clear of the teeth on the flywheel, so you do not damage them in the process. This is why I used an old school screw-on C-clamp. I didn't have a C-clamp style vice grip, and my standard vice grip jaws risked damaging the flywheel teeth. Once your chosen C-clamp, vice grip, or screwdriver is properly wedged against the block or trans, give the crank bolt a nice slow pull with a breaker bar, and it should loosen right up. Once the nut was off, all I had to do was jiggle the balancer a little and it slid right off. The balancer and crank are keyed together with a keyway, so no worries about reinstalling the balancer in the same orientation.
Great idea!
I think it's been mentioned.....About 13 yrs ago! ;)

Just sharing my experience. I know it's all been said and done before amigo. Look, this is my first time tackling a major automotive project such as this, and I thought less experienced or newer members might benefit from my post. Oops, my bad for posting to your sacred old threads. lol.

I gotta say that the TB forum has been a huge help in my 87GN project (Dad's old car - original owner - he passed 20+ years ago).

As a newbie here, I probably ought to pay my respects to you, kiss the ring, and say that I owe debt of gratitude to you and many other old head contributors over all the years. I hope to contribute here in some small way too. Thanks for the warm welcome Chuck!

Just sharing my experience. I know it's all been said and done before amigo. Look, this is my first time tackling a major automotive project such as this, and I thought less experienced or newer members might benefit from my post. Oops, my bad for posting to your sacred old threads. lol.

I gotta say that the TB forum has been a huge help in my 87GN project (Dad's old car - original owner - he passed 20+ years ago).

As a newbie here, I probably ought to pay my respects to you, kiss the ring, and say that I owe debt of gratitude to you and many other old head contributors over all the years. I hope to contribute here in some small way too. Thanks for the warm welcome Chuck!
20230211_162254.jpg

Again, thanks for the warm welcome. Have a nice day.

P.S. Are you on the left or on the right in that photo? :)

Well I’m going to be tackling this in the next couple of weeks and thought your information was helpful so thank you. In my opinion makes more sense to add to existing threads even if they are old otherwise this forum ends up with dozens of separate ones all on the same topic or procedure.

Well I’m going to be tackling this in the next couple of weeks and thought your information was helpful so thank you. In my opinion makes more sense to add to existing threads even if they are old otherwise this forum ends up with dozens of separate ones all on the same topic or procedure.
Thanks for the comment Dave. When you pull the crank pulley and balancer, be careful not to damage the crank sensor 'trigger wheel' on the back of the balancer. Best of luck on your project!