Cragar Soft 8 rims

Bri5150

I'm looking to put Cragaar Soft 8 rims (16x8) on my 87 Buick Grand National. Rear brakes are stock, but front will have a Baer sport 12" setup. Whatever info you can give me on this setup would be great. I have a spec sheet from Baer of the brakes with measurements, but I couldn't find a spec sheet of the Soft 8 to make sure it would fit. Baer said that most 16" rims should work, but I want to be sure of offset & anything else.

In the Fast & Furious movie, the rim & tire setup was

Front 15x8 235/60 15
Rear 15x8 275/60 15

I want the same look, but I need a 16" rim so the brakes will fit.

Thanks,

Brian

Attachments

• 1987-buick-grand-national.jpg
    1987-buick-grand-national.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 15,279
Not bad!...but a little too "stock car-ish" for my taste...but if you're happy with them, it's YOUR car and that's what counts! :wink:

Claude.:smile:

Soft 8

Well, right now my car is at Cotton's Performance for some upgrades. I've always wanted the GNX rims, but everyone has them. He must have had 20 GN's on site and many of them had the GNX Kirban rims. And once I saw this photo, I was like. "This is the rim". I like the 'Stock Car' look on this car. I think it adds even more of a sinister look. Kinda rough and ready looking.

Brian

Are you about 4'3" tall, shaved head, NY accent, hang out with Paul Walker?

Just kidding. :biggrin:

order one rim and try it on your car. if it fits, order the other rims.
if it doesn't fit, send it back.

I don't really like the look of more rim and less tire. In the photo above, I think the 15" rim looks just right with lots of rubber showing. Kinda old school. Not that DUB, bling look. So if I go up one size to a 16" rim, I can fit my new brakes and if I ever do get a set of GNX rims, I can swap the tires.

you can get light weight 16" wheels that look like actual stock car rims with "D" shaped holes.
now that i said that, i can't find them, but i've seen them before. they are used as spec wheels in some road racing series and don't cost very much.
if NASCAR was to ever go to a bigger diameter wheel in the Cup cars like they've been talking about, it would trickle down to the lower series and they would be easy to find.

I'm thinking of getting a set of soft 8s myself. 16" so I don't have to buy new tires. I have 255 on back and 245s on front. What width rim do I need and what back spacing should I order? Thanks

I've changed the rims I'm getting to CenterLine Wheels LEGEND SERIES -TELSTAR on my 87 Grand National.

16x8 Front
16x9.5 Rear

Going to use Baer 12" sport brakes on the front so I'm working with Jack Cotton, Baer Brakes & Centerline Wheels:cool: on the correct offsets & tires.:cool:

If anyone is running a setup like this, please give me your input on what setup your using.

Attachments

• GN Rims.jpg
    GN Rims.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 2,369
I aways wanted a set of centerlaine 723 or 721 style wheels in 16 or 17 but they dont make them off the shelf and Ive never taken the time to call and see what it would cost.

CenterLine Wheels

I've been working with Carlos at Centerline and he was extremely helpful with making sure my new Baer brakes would fit and getting the correct offset's for the rims. Also, Rick from Baer brakes was also all over this setup. Right now, Centerline is having a sale on some rims and saved my around $500! Very nice. My rims will be custom made to order and will take about 3 weeks to ship. And its the SAME price as off the shelf rims since they make them on site. I was going to use 12" from brakes, but I would have had to use 17" rims. (Which I hate). So to stick with the 16" rims, I went to the Bare 11" super street+ setup. Still a huge upgrade from stock and will let me keep the 16" rims that I wanted. :cool:

Brian

Tires for 16" rims

I should have looked into the rim size first. I bought 16x8 fronts & 16x9.5 rears. The reason I went with 16" was to fit the new brakes. I don't like the bigger rim look so I went up 1 size to fit the brakes. Centerline said go with the 9.5 for the rear for that 'fat tire look'. Well, the 12" bear brakes wouldn't fit in the 16" rims and I didn't want 17's, so I went with 11" bear brakes. BUT, I didn't go back to 15" rims (which would have been easy to get matching tires for). So now all I could find to fit this setup and kinda match was

2 - 245/50ZR -16 BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S
2 - 295/50R-16 BFGoodrich Radial T/A

Hope it all works out.

you don't need a 17" rim to clear 12" brakes- i had Corvette C4 brakes (same as the Baer 12" track setup) on my Nova and was able to run 15X7 steel Camaro 5 spoke wheels on it with a lot of room to spare. when i switched to the 16X8 GTA's, i had a ton of room and wished i had stepped up to the 13" Vette brakes..

rim size

I had CenterLine Wheels & Bear brakes work together with the cutsheets on both the brakes & rims and found that the brakes would touch the rims. Only just touch, but touch non the less. This is after I checked the cutsheets myself, but wanted the pro's to give me a final check.