Cracks in block around head bolt holes

postal

Peoples champ runner up
Grrrrrr! Just received a 153 block that I bought off of the net. It was supposed to be in real good shape, and supposedly never any repairs done to it. Hmmm... the block has 6 f'n sleeves in it for starters. Part thats got me real bumbed out is there are cracks around 3 of the head bolt holes. The block is drilled for 14 bolt heads. The ones that have cracks would be the middle two of the second row of bolts (3 bolts in row one would be ones in lifter valley, then ones iam talking about would be in the next row down, middle two bolts, and one in the same place on the other clynder bank) If you look at the block you have like 2 water passages, a steam hole, and then a head bolt hole in about dead center of the three. Now there are 3 cracks going out from each one of these head bolt holes. One crack heading out of the bolt hole to each of the 3 water/steam holes surrounding it.

OK here is the deal, I want to build a 10.0's street car, I want to run wet sump oiling, and I want to build a motor that keeps the revs down (prob 6000 rpm redline). I also want to run iron 8 bolt heads on this motor(all three of the f'd up bolt holes would be used by 8 bolt heads)

Can the deck of this block be repaired, and if so does any one have any guesses as to what a repair like that would cost? This block would seem to be a good one to use if it wasnt for the cracks. It is 4.010" bore and has wet sump provisions in it, all four caps look billet with the center 2 being splayed 4 bolt caps. I also only have $830 in this block.

TIA: Jason

Jason,

You might want to see if you can get in touch will Bill Anderson. He's a magician for fixing things. Based on your description the cracks sound like they would go into the waterjacket. Personally I'd say the block was a write off. I saw one like this at the Nationals and the only reason they kept it was to mock up the oil pans they were making.

Sorry for the bad news.

Neal

Cracks?

Sounds like the next cracks you find may be in the main webs. This thing is what someone said, a good mockup block....:( :(

The third place to look for cracks is in the skull of the J/O that sold it as a good part... Did it come off the BUICK board???
If so, perhaps another "troll killin" is in order!!

First clue is: The price is toooo low! SOMEONE knew exactly what he had and unloaded it w/ a low buck/quick sale scam...

you can as Neal said write it off, cracks around the bolt holes cant be repaired using any means I know of, the rest is fixable.