Cracks in 3.8 Stage I and II blocks

750H.P.V6

Brutal 6 Racing
Guys,

I'm posting this more as a poll rather than a technical discussion. I'm interested to know how many people have experienced cracks in their 3.8 Stage I and Stage II blocks. The Stage II blocks I'd be talking about are the earliest ones that share the same casting as the Stage I blocks not the later siameese version of the 3.8 block.

The reason for the poll is that I know more than a handful of people myself included that have had these blocks crack on the passenger side between the freeze plugs and in several other locations as well. The casting seems to be thin in this area but I'm begining to wonder if the metalurgy of these early blocks is different than the later pieces.

My 3.8 Stage II block has gotten so bad that it is completely unusable so I'm going to cut a piece off it and a piece off a newer block for samples. I hope to be able to have the M&P lab here at work compare the samples. I have to think of who I can talk into doing it for me.

Back to the original topic. If you or someone you know has experienced a cracking problem please chime in. Keep in mind if you have a block that is new in your garage that doesn't count.

Thanks

Neal

Neal, I had my block crack on the passenger side about one inch below the head right in the middle. I thought that it was bigger than what it was, because it was leaking fluid. I put a little JB Weld, and so far so good. It may sound funny, but it is working. I don't run antifreeze, I use evans coolant, therefore I have no pressure in the system, that kind of helps I think....Good luck ...

Hey Neal before you go cutting that block up can you send me a picture of the damage?
Thanks, Kip

We've had our share of cracking between the freeze plugs on the stage ones, we generally lace them and that corrects it, Good luck!
Bill