Cracking/Creeking noise coming from rear wheels

LomoMike

GN Rookie
notice a cracking/creeking noise coming from rear wheels. Starts happening after about 20 minutes and usually is noticable when i turn slightly at low speeds. Its not tire rub or a clearance issue, ive checking all around the wheel both on and off the lift. Watched it from outside the car in the driveway and when it cracks the wheel adjusts and vibrates quickly (see the whole tire shake) when it makes the noise. Happens on both drivers and pass wheels. I am thinking something with the drum brakes. Seems like the wheels are fighting to rotate and are beaking free of something holding them back when the noise occurs. But then why does it only happen when turning at low speeds and only after about 20 min of driving. Torqued all lugs down to spec today, still happening. Help!!

Wheel spacers?
posi lube?
I do have 3/8" spacers out back but they are hub centric and dont seem to be a problem. I also did it right and put longer 2" wheel studs in to make sure the lugs are getting enough thread. Could look into posi lube but i would think that would occur going straight as well and not only on turns.

Posi additive needed , it will do that on tight turns . That is the clutches grabbing in the posi unit .

I had this problem when I would make a locked left turn from a stop. I didn't hear it, but I could feel It. It all went away when I put the new rear cover on and new lube with the posi additive...Mike

I do have 3/8" spacers out back but they are hub centric and dont seem to be a problem. I also did it right and put longer 2" wheel studs in to make sure the lugs are getting enough thread. Could look into posi lube but i would think that would occur going straight as well and not only on turns.

going straight the wheels are turning at the same speed and not fighting the posi unit. during turns one wheel speeds up and the other slows down fighting the posi from both sides.
don't over do it on the posi lube as it will have a negative effect on the posi, for example having a good posi but still doing one wheel burn-outs, just put what it is supposed to get-- i have first hand experience with this.

i would swap out the wheels and eliminate the spacer as a possibility. if it still making the noise put the wheels back on and move on to the next thing. I am NOT a fan of spacers they add leverage to something that is already under a lot of stress.

I was thinking of another possibility as well. The orevious owner told me that he purposely tightened the rear drum brakes so that he could build boost off the line. Could that be the noise? Would make sense that after 15/20 mins of driving the brakes heat up and expand causing them to grab too tight. But then again why only on turns. Im still leaning towards the rear gear fluid and gonna change that, but if that doesnt work does this sound like a possibility?

Check and adjust the brakes. If that doesn't cure it, a fluid change, check for metal debris. I would pull the pin and c clips, check the wheel axle bearings while the cover was off.

Gotcha thanks guys, gonna change the diff oil with valvoline dino 80w90 and ac delco limited slip additive/friction modifier. Ill let you know if that solves it.

Check the bottle first before adding the friction modifier , because it may not need it . Some have the additive in it already . This is what I use .
http://www.autozone.com/greases-and...l-sae-80w-90-32-oz-/693858_0_0/?checkfit=true
Just remember more is not is not better when it comes to posi additive ......just enough to get the job done !

I had the same thing it was gear lube .put some in and all is good 3 years later that noise never came back .

Think if im using Dino gear oil and bot synthetic im gonna go with one 4oz bottle of additive. Ive gears some of the synthetics like redline and others do not need additive. But im gonna go with natural valvoline for the job plus additive.

I REPEAT , READ THE BOTTLE FIRST . Just because it is non-synthetic does not mean it needs additive . If there is too much additive in the oil the clutches will slip too much and could make your posi ineffective . You asked for info and we are trying to help .
Read the product details http://www.autozone.com/greases-and...l-sae-80w-90-32-oz-/693858_0_0/?checkfit=true
No extra additive in mine and no chattering .

Last edited:
I REPEAT , READ THE BOTTLE FIRST . Just because it is non-synthetic does not mean it needs additive . If there is too much additive in the oil the clutches will slip too much and could make your posi ineffective . You asked for info and we are trying to help .
Read the product details http://www.autozone.com/greases-and...l-sae-80w-90-32-oz-/693858_0_0/?checkfit=true
No extra additive in mine and no chattering .
Looks pretty good, couldnt open up the link earlier. Ive always like lucas products. May go pick up 3 quarts tonight.

So a little update on this situation. Swapped the gear oil out with fresh lucas (which supposedly does not need additive) still made the noise after 20 mins of driving or so....so i threw in 4oz of ac delco rear gear additive/friction modifier. Still making the noise after only at very low speeds on turns. Inspected the diff when i had it open, all looked good no chipped teeth, or excessive wear etc. Still need some help with this one...only happens under 10mph on turns.

So a little update on this situation. Swapped the gear oil out with fresh lucas (which supposedly does not need additive) still made the noise after 20 mins of driving or so....so i threw in 4oz of ac delco rear gear additive/friction modifier. Still making the noise after only at very low speeds on turns. Inspected the diff when i had it open, all looked good no chipped teeth, or excessive wear etc. Still need some help with this one...only happens under 10mph on turns.

What kind of rims are you running ? I had Weld wheels once and the lugs where a hair to long and the rim halfs would creak and squeak.
AG.

If the lube is the issue adding the friction modifier isn't going to cure the problem right away. Your going to have to drive it for a while so the additive works it's way into the clutches. Making a few figure 8's helps. It will take a few days before it works it's way in.

A local car here needed 2 bottles of posi additive to make that go away. As already mentioned, do some figure 8's in a parking lot to work it in there.