Cracked torque converter hub

termn8rgn

I have a PTS 911 torque converter built in 02.Trans had a knocking sound.Pulled it iut SAT. Hub that goes into trans was cracked.About a 3rd of it is still in the trans.Anyone ever had that happen?

It's a common issue with the 200r's. Most will just start leaking when the hairline crack forms and cause people to think they have a pan gasket or front seal leak. The crack begins at the notches for the pump drive. We use the hardest snouts we can find and it still happens occasionally.

A "mouse bite" at the root of the notch will help reduce the chances of this happening.

A "mouse bite" at the root of the notch will help reduce the chances of this happening.

Mouse bite?? LOL Chuck Never heard that one.How are you liking life in the sticks?
It's a common issue with the 200r's. Most will just start leaking when the hairline crack forms and cause people to think they have a pan gasket or front seal leak. The crack begins at the notches for the pump drive. We use the hardest snouts we can find and it still happens occasionally.
OK thanks.Not sure if I should try to have this fixed or if it can be fixed.

Mouse bite?? LOL Chuck Never heard that one.How are you liking life in the sticks?
OK thanks.Not sure if I should try to have this fixed or if it can be fixed.

A mouse bite is a relief like drilling a hole at the end of a crack. Stops the crack from expanding.
Also used on flame, lazer cut plates, to prevent cracking at rough corners, in hi stress areas.
I would think that the slot in the neck could have a machine operation added, that would put a radius at the end, to remove the stress risers. Do it B4 it's heat treated, & it would not be difficult to do.
Even polishing it w/ a hard roll, would remove some of the rough edges, and reduce the chance for cracks forming.

This is it.The other part stayed in the trans.Sid got it out.He is checking the pump for me.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1373996386579.jpg
    1373996386579.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 235
Fillet radii or corner relief is the term for eliminating a stress riser area, for those not in the banjo woods of Ga.
As Chuck would put it, make the sharp area look like a pretty mouth....

Don't worry, Chuck is safe, he is the one with the banjo...

What's weird is its only a problem with the 200r4. Is it cavitation, some harmonic issue with a particular vane pump.....I've never discovered the root cause.

Its been in there since 02.Lots of abuse guess I can't complain.Sid said the hub wasn't hardened.A file took metal off pretty easy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

What's weird is its only a problem with the 200r4. Is it cavitation, some harmonic issue with a particular vane pump.....I've never discovered the root cause.

"Some harmonic issue".............When I was at Ruggles, he mentioned he had 2 dynos. 1 was reserved for the Buicks, as they "shook the dyno so bad, it was always having problems". Could be, this is also related???

Going to put new U joints in while I have it out.I bought the Spicer no grease fittings.Both sides look the same.There is a little white dot on one side.Anyone else installed these?

Picked up trans from Sid Neal.Cleaned, replace bushing,and resurfaced something.lol Nice little baggie of worn parts.

Went with the PTC 10" .Might have them fix the 911 later and sell it or put back in if I need a higher stall.