Coverter choice help!

jlbuick

Hello, i have a hot air car, bigger turbo, fmic, dump pipe, bunch of other stuff- still the gn posi, not the ford 9”, tranny junk, bought another and was told

“Semi built 200r4. HD clutches and bands, Ck perf shift recalibration kit. Shifts nice and firm. Setup for a lockup conv. Has about 4000 miles since build.”

Now the car will only see the track, is the lockup ok or should I go non ( and how to do that) and what would be a good converter choice. Thanks for the help, this should be the last piece to get the car running!!

Anyone have something good on the lower priced end?

If the tranny has LU in it go back with it. You have to get to the track and back don't you? You won't be using the LU while racing so it won't hurt you. As far as an RPM see what Chris, Dusty, or one of the other tranny guys suggest.

9.5" PTC non lock. Dont look back and know you will get the best bang for the buck. Lock ups are dinosaurs.

trailer to the track,

i think you can make the trans a non lu correct?

what stall range ya think i should get

Thanks.

trailer to the track,

i think you can make the trans a non lu correct?

what stall range ya think i should get

Thanks.

I am going to copy your sig, since this can change making the listed recommendation invalid down the road . . . . :eek:
NLU, 2600-2800, PTC, (Guessing ;) )
I am sure Dusty will jump in and give the correct numbers.

85 Hot Air, 340 Hotwired, 55lb injecters, 2.5" DP dump(2-1/2" cat back, gutted cat may be put back, not sure), K&N Cone, Kenne Bell Ported Intake and ported TB, Postons GN107T cam, aluminum radiator and elec fans, adj regulator, cold air kit, 87 ecm/coil pack conversion, going in soon-- TA33 should be here this weekend, powerlogger, manual brakes/steering, fiberglass doors,trunk, bumpers, gutting interior, drag wheels/slicks.

I am going to copy your sig, since this can change making the listed recommendation invalid down the road . . . . :eek:

I have not run the car yet, should i be looking to do something different?? I wouldn't whine about someone suggestions if i didn't like the outcome if that was what was meant, or you may have some tips.. not sure, i just wanna go fast!! on a budget;-)

if whatever i get now for my mods is outgrown because of the help of the board and i have to get a different converter next year or something...yeehaa-great, i hope the car becomes more than i expect!

For something at your power level, the lock-up will be fine if you don't want to make any changes in the trans.

What is your desired shift rpm?

Something in the 2400-2800 range will work well. This can be had in the 10" with lock-up or non lock. If you swap to non lock now with the lower budget converter, you will not have to make any changes down the road if you ever decided to step up the power and need a more serious converter.

Your options are

10" lock-up
10" non lock
9" or 9.5" non lock. The 9" and 9.5's are not budget converters.

Not sure what rpm, dont mind higher but dont want to blow it, pretty much stock. It wont see the street so I guess I will go the lock up route. The difference between 9.5 and 10" --is it rpm shift, stall??
Jerryl reccomended a converter I will probably go with just need to figure out the details. I have not found a post that explained what to do to make it a non lock up?? just stuff on switches, thanks.

The shift rpm is important and makes a big difference. If the motor is stock, I assume your shifting around 5100-5200 so you would need a 2400 stall. You could get away with a 2800 if your shift rpm is 5600 or so.

If you'd rather not go into modding the trans for a non lock converter. You can get something in the 2400 stall range in a 10" Lock-up or a restalled D5 in the 2000-2200 range.

It requires changing the lock-up valve to a non lock valve. It's not difficult if you choose to go non lock.

i would like to mod it for non lu, what needs to be done, part? And for converter 10" non lock in the 24-2800 range? PTC011 PTC008 PTC007 one of these?

i would like to mod it for non lu, what needs to be done, part? And for converter 10" non lock in the 24-2800 range? PTC011 PTC008 PTC007 one of these?

One word of advice.
Make sure you get the converter at a 0/0 spec for your RPM.
If you get the PTC, it is spec'd at 0/0. :cool:

The others, I am not sure ............. but one of them, I know for sure is NOT spec'd that way.

thanks, dusty has contacted me and since i have seen him referred and you mentioned him i think i will go that route, i just need to give him a call, looking forward to getting this thing running!!

TransGo Part# 7-CCV = Converter Valve Kit, 2004R / 700R4 Non-Lock-up Pump Conversion.

thanks, dusty has contacted me and since i have seen him referred and you mentioned him i think i will go that route, i just need to give him a call, looking forward to getting this thing running!!

Good choice.
You will be happy and know you got one of the best converters for these cars.