Couple performance questions

buick83-T

83' T-type
-Seeing in some past post that the 301 turbo with stock .82 exhaust housing is laggy. Anyone changed the exhaust wheel for lighter/better wheel using .82 housing for better spoolup?

-I saw somewhere cant find it but it was said a 83 t-type stock with 301 turbo had went low 13's. Anyone know if this is correct and what was done to get this?(other mods/boost level?)

-I know the .63 housing is for quicker spoolup....but 82 makes little more power overall topend...what is estimated difference (10-20hp?)

-I have the 83 t-type with 301 stock being modified to fit currently...with postons headers..2800 stall convertor..86-87 cam...and larger downpipe curious if on the street if lag is going to be aweful still?

-No ones upgraded up-pipe to 2.25 mandrel bent pipe?

If you're using the stock exhaust housing off the 301 turbo then the lag will be horible. If you're using the exhaust housing off the V6 then it will be about the same but either way you'll have more on the top. If you change the exhaust side to either an 84-85 or 86-87 exhaust housing and turbine you'll have the best set up.

If you're using the stock exhaust housing off the 301 turbo then the lag will be horible. If you're using the exhaust housing off the V6 then it will be about the same but either way you'll have more on the top. If you change the exhaust side to either an 84-85 or 86-87 exhaust housing and turbine you'll have the best set up.

The stock 83 exhaust housing .63 will bolt up to the 301 turbo with its stock exhaust wheel? Whats gonna be the power difference with the .82 vs .63 housings just curious?

The stock 83 exhaust housing .63 will bolt up to the 301 turbo with its stock exhaust wheel? Whats gonna be the power difference with the .82 vs .63 housings just curious?
Read the link in my sig and it should explane quite a few of your questions about a B4black turbo. Each exhaust housing has a certain turbine that it has to go with and you can see the stock C/T, 301, and 86-87 units in the thread.:)

I would stick with the 0.63 turbine and have the stock compressor machined for a larger impeller. Gains on the top end won't help if it takes you forever to get there.

What have you done to your engine so far? How much boost are you running? Messing with the turbo is well down the list of things to do IMO.

I would stick with the 0.63 turbine and have the stock compressor machined for a larger impeller. Gains on the top end won't help if it takes you forever to get there.

What have you done to your engine so far? How much boost are you running? Messing with the turbo is well down the list of things to do IMO.

Looking at info on comparisons of the turbos I can use the stock 83 exhaust(.63) housing and wheel with the 301 compressor housing and wheel.The only downside is gonna be the wieght of the stock 83 exhaust wheel correct? Anyone know which way the person(Terrible-T) that posted about this turbo had his set-up?

Rich..engine has mild head work..stock 86-87 cam..poston 2800 stall convertor..poston headers..K&N filter..I have alcohol injection set-up(not installed yet)...posi 3.42(have set richmond 3.73's)..electric fan& 160 stat..full accel ignition..boost 10-11lbs...dynomax single 3" exhaust..(boost/vac gauge and caspers knock gauge)

I have custom downpipe 3"...was made by kieth mease few years ago when he started making the 84-85 pipes..same lower "S" section as 84-85 cars and new neck made for carb turbo(2 pieces plus flange)..flange cut for 83 housing not welded to upper piece yet..i also had a flange made for the 301 turbo exhaust housing. Trying to get everything figured out before trying to put it all together...gonna be running external wastegate(Deltagate).

The .63 housing is the way to go. The turbine is a little heavier than the later units but the AR rating will work better. A 2800 stall should help you better off the line and don't even think about the 3.73's unless you plan on running a 28" or taller tire on the back. You might be fine at cruise but you'll run out of steam if you do 1/4 mile.

Don't know anything about Terrible T so sorry about that. There are some gaps in the info about doing the 301 turbo conversion which is why I started the thread in my sig. I got hints and that was about it until I ran into Philbuilt65 here on the board. I got his number and called to talk and he gave me the most info about using the 301 unit.

Currently i have a 301 turbo with the 86/87 hot side on my car. i have been able to run 20 # with better fuel, alky and nitrous. charlie says i can get more boost out of it, but i have not tried. their is not alot of turbo lag with the way i have it now. i like your external wastegate idea. the one i have now is a pain to change boost with the dang clip. How did you modify the 301 to fit? did you do it charlie's way (Change the turbo foot) or mind welded the holes in the intake and re drilled and taped them? if you do swap to the 86/87 hot side know that you have to balance the blades and have to have a spacer made. if you look on my site you can see the spacer on the end of the 301 cold side. top picture. i know a turbo guy that can do this for you. he is fair with his prices and a really nice guy. ever since i gave his info ou everyone has been using him. he is a member here now. i think user junkbrick i may be wrong tho. well thats my 2 cents.
http://sites.google.com/site/beforeblackracing/turbo-upgrades

"if you have nothin nice to say dont say nothin" Bambi 1942
here is going to be my new sig sorry to get off track. but charlie knows why... i hope i dont have a recap of last time.

The .63 housing is the way to go. The turbine is a little heavier than the later units but the AR rating will work better. A 2800 stall should help you better off the line and don't even think about the 3.73's unless you plan on running a 28" or taller tire on the back. You might be fine at cruise but you'll run out of steam if you do 1/4 mile.

Don't know anything about Terrible T so sorry about that. There are some gaps in the info about doing the 301 turbo conversion which is why I started the thread in my sig. I got hints and that was about it until I ran into Philbuilt65 here on the board. I got his number and called to talk and he gave me the most info about using the 301 unit.

I am running 255/60/15 in back 27.1" tall...that hieght tire and stock gn cam if I ran 3.73's in 1/8 mile track here would it benefit? What year buick did Philbuilt run the 301 turbo on?

I am running 255/60/15 in back 27.1" tall...that hieght tire and stock gn cam if I ran 3.73's in 1/8 mile track here would it benefit? What year buick did Philbuilt run the 301 turbo on?
Stock is 26.6" tall, if I remember right. The 3.73's will make it a little faster but not enough to make a differences. The power of the design is in torque below 5500 so you'd have to run in OD (risky to do) to get a decent speed.

Phil put the 301 unit on an 83 T but he's dropped off since I talked to him last. No changes to the car other than the turbo and he was getting low 13's right off.

Currently i have a 301 turbo with the 86/87 hot side on my car. i have been able to run 20 # with better fuel, alky and nitrous. charlie says i can get more boost out of it, but i have not tried. their is not alot of turbo lag with the way i have it now. i like your external wastegate idea. the one i have now is a pain to change boost with the dang clip. How did you modify the 301 to fit? did you do it charlie's way (Change the turbo foot) or mind welded the holes in the intake and re drilled and taped them? if you do swap to the 86/87 hot side know that you have to balance the blades and have to have a spacer made. if you look on my site you can see the spacer on the end of the 301 cold side. top picture. i know a turbo guy that can do this for you. he is fair with his prices and a really nice guy. ever since i gave his info ou everyone has been using him. he is a member here now. i think user junkbrick i may be wrong tho. well thats my 2 cents.
http://sites.google.com/site/beforeblackracing/turbo-upgrades

"if you have nothin nice to say dont say nothin" Bambi 1942
here is going to be my new sig sorry to get off track. but charlie knows why... i hope i dont have a recap of last time.

Matt I had foot modified instead of re-tapping intake. You didnt cut down on the inlet that connects to plenum correct(compressor to plenum)? what did you do about brace on side that connects to plenum?

Anyone know if the wastegate hole in the stock 83 exhaust housing needs to be opened up to prevent boost creep once downpipe is upgraded?

Matt I had foot modified instead of re-tapping intake. You didnt cut down on the inlet that connects to plenum correct(compressor to plenum)? what did you do about brace on side that connects to plenum?

Anyone know if the wastegate hole in the stock 83 exhaust housing needs to be opened up to prevent boost creep once downpipe is upgraded?

i did not cut the inlet side of the turbo to plenum. for me a spacer had to me made at the turbo foot so the plenum did not hit the valve cover. as for the brackets i modified the stock one in some places and in others i made new ones. i have to say the turn on the down pipe for the 86/87 hot side is a 90 degree as it comes out, then straight down, and angled back. if you know how to fab up a down pipe i suggest you swap to the 86/87 hot side. If you look at the picture on my site you can see the big difference in size the hot to cold side. if you dont mind could you post pictures of your setup now. i want to see what it would have been like if i would have went with a draw thru hot side.

-which places will upgrade the carb turbos?

-posted a while back about a 79 turbo engine out of riviera found...only 60k on motor..was going to use as spare to build have spare 83 intake and set off 8445 heads(wanted to port)...know i have to change oil pan and pickup on this engine to use it...Oil passages need to be opened up on this motor? Can get it cheap only reason looking into older year engine.... reseal it,new rings maybe change cam 204/214? and put my spare heads and intake on it..Opinions?

i did not cut the inlet side of the turbo to plenum. for me a spacer had to me made at the turbo foot so the plenum did not hit the valve cover. as for the brackets i modified the stock one in some places and in others i made new ones. i have to say the turn on the down pipe for the 86/87 hot side is a 90 degree as it comes out, then straight down, and angled back. if you know how to fab up a down pipe i suggest you swap to the 86/87 hot side. If you look at the picture on my site you can see the big difference in size the hot to cold side. if you dont mind could you post pictures of your setup now. i want to see what it would have been like if i would have went with a draw thru hot side.

So if the inlet on compressor housing is'nt cut down you have to add the spacer to foot of compressor housing and also modify the braces/brackets correct?
Matt I still currently have stock turbo setup bolted up...my 301 is being modified currently...foot is done...trying to get everything together with turbo and downpipe.
Matt had your car dynoed with 301 turbo and 20 psi? Ran it at track without nitrous?

So if the inlet on compressor housing is'nt cut down you have to add the spacer to foot of compressor housing and also modify the braces/brackets correct?
Matt I still currently have stock turbo setup bolted up...my 301 is being modified currently...foot is done...trying to get everything together with turbo and downpipe.
Matt had your car dynoed with 301 turbo and 20 psi? Ran it at track without nitrous?

no i did not cut the inlet side down. the spacer on the foot is so the carb pad doesn't hit the valve cover. (i had the info on the site)"Either way requires the turbo to be raised or else the carb pad will hit the valve cover". when my server comes up i will add pictures of the turbo's foot spacer and the downpipe to my site. the spacer may not need to be added but with my setup the spacer only raised the carb pad a 1/4 inch above the valve cover at its highest point. so i think you will have the same issue. as for the brackets its a custom setup fab work is needed. i had to make brackets for the hot side and i just re drilled the cold sides brackest and a little welding in other areas. have not had it dynoed. i have taken it to the track with and with out nitrous. the issue here is i have had a few members teach me a lesson about telling what time my car runs. so, i will never again tell what time it runs. that's up to the next person in line who wants to be harrassed.

Just PM him the info Matt. That might save you some headache here. One of these days I'm going to find out who was doing that to you and then we will have some fun, to say the least.:D Big daddy's still wants to know and if it's who we both think it is heads will be on the block.:cool:

Charlie could the 301 turbo plenum be used? Your comparison showed 301 plenum to have better flow. On the 83 t-type it has a tube running heat to plenum...the 301 plenum used coolant.... intake could be plugged on the 83 intake manifold removing heater tube. Blockoff/plug the ports on the 301 plenum?

If you're using an 83 intake I don't know how you'd block the EGR off in the intake unless you block the ports in the heads. As far as the TTA plenum goes I really wouldn't worry about heating it to much. The TTA and the 82-83 intake both have an EGR tube on them so you might be able to adapt the buick to the TTA unit. It has more height so that may cause you some issues. You can also pot the heck out of the stock plenum and get a lot more flow out of it. I did mine and was suprised how much you could take out in comparison.:)
DSCN0010.JPG