Couple of idle questions on my new motor

Fasstcars

When only boost will do
I finally started my buick with the new motor and trans. It runs great off idle but wants to stall if I let it idle on its own. I wanted to see if someone could give me some values to look for on the MAF and IAC so I can see if they are operating correctly. It's an 87 Turbo T by the way. If anyone has any other suggestions I would be greatful. Thanks Steve

I ran the motor some more tonight and it won't idle below 2000. The IAC counts are staying around a 100 and MAF readings are 6 or 7.

unplug the maf electrical connector and take the up pipe off, if it idles fine at 700 then you probably have a maf issue.....

The high iac counts is because you are above idle.

If the car is stone cold, what does it do when you first fire it up and try to let it idle?

What is the maximum level of vacuum you have seen so far, a seriously huge vacuum leak will make it run like crap.

Maf should be 05 at idle at 700 and iac should be 30 in gear.

Whose chip is it, and did you change to a smaller convertor?
BW

Thanks for the help,
If I just hit the key to fire it up it will stall. When it fires I have to take it off idle and head towards 2k. The vacuum has been a solid 20. It runs fine and smooth above 2k. I thought about a vacumm leak as well. Usually it will cause a surge at higher rpm's as well though. The converter is the same stock one I ran before. The chip I think was a Red Armstrong if I remember correctly. I didn't buy it. The car ran fine before the last motor blew earlier in 2005.
I think I may have screwed up over the summer. I was helping a friend with his 85 GN trying to pin point an idle problem as well as putting a trans in. Since my car was down I think I swapped in my MAF and IAC to trouble shoot his car. I am wondering if I got my parts back after helping him smooth out his idle or if I accidently got stuck with his bad parts.
I will try unpluging the MAF and disconnecting the up pipe. If I unhook the MAF won't it go into open loop or will the computer try and compensate. So at 2k the MAF should be higher than 6 or 7 then I would think..Thanks again

You were right I unhooked the MAF and the car would idle. The computer stayed in open loop and the IAC was fixed between 150 and 175. I guess because it was in like a limp home mode. Even when I put it in gear the IAC stayed high. Vacuum was steady at about 15-17lbs. If the IAC is high does that mean it is richening the mixture? The car seemed to fatten up with the MAF disconnected.

I would just get a new maf in there or borrow a good one and see what the car does from there.

I dont recall my cars running richer once the maf was off, but its been awhile since i have done that test.

Let us know how it does with a good maf on the car.
BW

Since I posted a little while ago I shot up to the parts store and picked one up. I'm going to try and get down there tonight but if not first thing in the morning.

I forgot to mention the default reading when the MAF is unhooked it 10. I was wondering even if the computer is in open loop if that may explain a little richer mixture.

parts store??????????????

RETURN IT immediately, they dont work worth a crap and wont max out at 255....
I know 2 guys that used to work at napa, it would usually take 2-4 mafs before the gn owner would get one that worked fair....

Try a known good one and you might try one of those 3 inch lt1/ls1 mafs with translator.
Or mafpro that doesnt use a maf sensor!!! :)
BW

I'm not a big fan of aftermarket MAF's either. This is a new one from Car Quest so hopefully it will do the trick. Funny the bad one I took off was a reman one from NAPA. The only buick owner close to me is the guy who ended up with my original MAF like I said earlier and he is out of town for the holidays. If it doesn't work I've had an acct with CQ for years and they'll take it back and I can try the one off the '85 when he returns. I just want to get it rolling so I can bring it back to the house. Right now I have a 30min drive everytime I want to run some tests.

The MAF from CQ worked perfectly. It is pulling steady vacuum. I set the idle to 700 in park and it seems happy. It surges just a little but that could be the speed pro cam. Thanks for your help